Chapter Six: Insult to Injury

It had been a week since sparring day, and your legs came back. The meds and technicians worked to reattach them. They had done a spectacular job, not only did they fix them, they remodeled them too, they were less awkward looking, they had the same style as McCree's bionic arm, looking robotic enough, but keeping a semblance of humanity. They were less clunky than your old legs too, once they were attached, you tried to stand up, and found the process of relearning much easier than before.

It took you a few hours to feel any semblance of comfort. You took a physical therapy class, working with other agents that had bionic limbs to feel comfortable in them again. This felt wonderful, Lena and Genji stopped by every once and awhile to visit and chat, it had been a year since you started at Overwatch, and you were repeating the cycle.

"Let's hope you don't almost die again, though, (Y/N)," Lena teased, "The last thing we need is for another person to come out of a situation like that hating the oth..." She caught her words when she saw the hurt and anger well up in your eyes. "Sorry, (Y/N). We just all joke about it a lot, I guess."

"Does McCree joke about it too?"

Lena rolled her eyes. "Jesse, has stopped hanging out with us as much. So every time I see him, I make sure that it counts." She seemed genuinely angry. "Look, I don't blame you, (Y/N), you both came out of Santa Fe different people. You just look so angry all the time now. I know that you're hurt, just don't take it out on other people, okay?"

You're at a loss for words, so you simply nod.

"We better go. I know your team's gone, so if you need company, just let us know."

"Right. Thanks Lena."

You get a chance to spar later that day, with another Lower Agent, who lost a leg in his first mission out. You're still a bit wobbly on your legs, and the sparring isn't anything like the fight ring at sparring day. You're both pulling your punches and just trying to regain balance in terms of your bionic limbs.

You spend the next few days doing this, meeting with the injured agents for physical therapy, some light sparring and target practice, mostly rest. Your team returns just as you're fully comfortable, but things aren't right. They come rushing into the building. You see the gold banded uniforms in your peripheral, and you see multiple stretchers in the middle of the crowd. 

You rush out of your physical therapy class, dressed in a tee shirt and gym shorts. 

"(Y/N)!" Aden ran over to you. 

"What happened?" Your heart sinks. You count at least four stretchers. 

"We were ambushed. I- I don't know what happened. Hurry." He takes your hand and drags you to the medical wing. You see Ginger, Hunter, Hera, Mark, and Alen lying in beds. They all looked fairly close to death.

"Out of the way!" Ana and Angela ran past the crowd and immediately began ordering the nurses around. Madison knelt by Hunter's bed, tears freely flowing, holding his hand. 

Everyone is ushered out, Madison almost punching the nurse who told her she needed to leave. The remainder of Gold Team needed medical assistance too, so everyone went back to the Gold section of the Lower Agent quarters and the quiet healer Alta took care of everyone. No one spoke. Madison stormed out of the room fifteen minutes after Alta healed everyone with no word as to why.

"So," you broke the silence, your voice small, barely a whisper, "What happened?"

"We went out to talk to a rouge Talon agent. An insider, said they'd trade information for asylum. Needless to say, even with proper precautions we were unprepared." Aden replied.