Chapter Ten: Gold

"Commander." A Gold agent walks by you as you're overseeing a sparring match in the new building specifically for recruits.

"Smith." You nod back and turn back to oversee the sparring match. It had been three years since you had that chat with Morrison about the position, and you've found it to be fantastic. You're the halfway point between the two sections of Agents. You train new recruits and oversee both Gold Teams. You also occasionally go on missions with the Upper Agents. It's good to see both groups of friends that you make slowly merge into one. Aden, Hera, and Madison all became Upper Agents. Hunter is now the Gold Primary, and Ginger turned down the offer to even be considered for an Upper Agent. In her words, she's "content" to be a lower agent with her team.

You have a new uniform as a Gold Commander. It has a black, long sleeved button down shirt with gold stripes down the sleeves and an Overwatch symbol on the lapel, along with black jeans and shoes.

"Harris, keep your guard up!" You call to one of the recruits.

"Yes ma'am!" He calls.

Your watch beeps as you receive a reminder of a meeting. You have to have a meeting about the training trip you're taking the recruits on. You have five minutes.

"Mads," you turn to Madison beside you, "could you do me a favor and oversee the rest of this? We leave in a few hours."

"You got it." She says, giving you a small smile.

Before you leave, you clap your hands together and say, "Agent Haal is going to oversee the rest of this while I go have one final meeting. Be in the foyer by 1900 hours. You may continue." You give a nod to Madison as you head toward the conference rooms on the second floor of the main building.

It's the middle of the summer at around two o'clock in the afternoon, so the sun is streaming through the skylights and windows and bouncing around the white halls of Overwatch's headquarters. You hop into a glass elevator and ride to the second floor with a few other Overwatch staff.

You enter the conference room using your watch as a keycard to sit down with Commander Morrison and Commander Amari.

"Afternoon, (L/N)." Morrison says.

"Afternoon, Commander. Are we alright to start? Sorry if I made us late, I was running drills with the newest batch-" Morrison cuts you off,

"Actually, we're waiting on your partner for the trip." Morrison absentmindedly checks his watch. You drum your fingers on the table while listening to the echoing sound of an analog clock hung above the head of the table where Morrison sits. Ten minutes pass like this.

All of a sudden, the door swings open behind you.

"Sorry I'm late, Jack." A familiar drawl fills the space and you immediately stare at your hands.

"It's Commander Morrison, McCree, and don't let it happen again."

"This is the meeting about the recruit training trip, right?" You feel his gaze pointed at you.

"Yes. Have a seat." Morrison gestures to the only open seat, beside you to your left.

"Gold Commander (L/N) will be your partner for the trip. She's done many of these trips and is going to have some time off soon, so if she is ever unavaliable, we thought that you should learn how to run them." Morrison says, glancing between the two of you. "So I suggest the two of you get friendly." He says in a quieter voice.

"Right. We're headed to the south, which base is it again?" You ask, pulling up a holographic notepad on the table.

"It's the Miller Base in Santa Fe. (Y/N), you know how this goes, run the drills, keep a tight schedule, and do testing at the end of the month. On your return back, you have a month to yourself." Morrison says, pulling up a map of the base. "Get familiar with the drills, both of you, run them yourselves, and familiarize yourself with the setting. We chose this location because it's familiar landscape to McCree, and familiar exercises to (L/N)."