Chapter Twenty: Detroit (Part 2)

Part Two: Partners

_________________________

The summer sun beams down as you as you and Jesse finally arrive at your hotel. The building itself is towering. The sun reflects off of the white walls and large windows. It reminds you of the heat in New Mexico that lingers all day. As you step into the shade, you're immediately met with the cool breeze that tunnels through the city. 

"Are you ready?" Jesse asks. It would seem he was talking about checking in, but in his eyes, you see the question he's really asking: "Are you ready to complete the mission?"

"Yes, though I can't wait for the couple days we'll have to ourselves." A coded message in response. You search his eyes for his response, and you find resolve.

"This is going to be a fun weekend." He puts his arm around you and pulls you toward him. You grin, trying to look how you should: blissfully happy. Mostly you're just trying to hide the resigned expression which has tried to rest on your face for the past few hours.

You enter the spacious lobby to find the most beautiful hotel you've ever set foot in. Typical of dangerous people to either hole up in the most expensive place in town, or a motel that most people wouldn't give a second look to. You suppose they went with the former.

There's a beautiful crystal chandelier hanging from the circular hole above you. You see lounge areas winding up the circular area lit by the chandelier. 

You try to contain your wonder at the sight in front of you. There's an indoor fountain, and a little river that you have to cross a small bridge to get to your check in desk. After all, Jamie Lee-Dawson is used to this extravagance. Her husband makes enough money to pay the living of two or three minimum-wage families without a dent to his pocket. This is commonplace to her. 

You take Jesse, er, Micheal's arm as you approach the desk. After airport security, which made you very nervous, checking into your hotel room is second nature. 

You were a bit concerned about how well Jesse would take to having to play a part, but he makes it so natural. You have to constantly remind yourself that this isn't real. You've decided that you're going to kill whoever set the two of you up like this. It isn't going to make anything easier.

Someone takes your luggage up to your room for you, and you're told that you can take advantage of any of the amenities available to you.

"Micheal, do you know what I'm thinking?" You raise an eyebrow. He check his watch. "At one in the afternoon?"

"It's not like we're getting hammered. Come on!" You grab his wrist and pull him towards the bar. "Since when do you not want to have a drink?" You ask, more toward Jesse than the man he's playing. He gives you a warning look. You guess that Micheal is more conservative than Jesse is about afternoon drinking.

"I, personally, would just like to see our room first. Then we can come down- you know, get unpacked first." His voice holds a quiet urgency that he directs only to you. You understand what he means. 

"That sounds great. A compromise. We can get drunk later." You say lightly. 

He smiles at you, and the two of you get in the elevator, alone. You spend your time in awkward silence. It unnerves you how easily this is coming to you, and you wonder if it's off-putting to Jesse too. After all, covert agents unchecked tend to fester into something far deadlier than anyone accounts for. 

You steal a glance at him, and his gaze is firmly interested in the floor. You notice his gaze wander to you as you look toward the elevator door. 

When it opens, no one waits for you, so you don't feel the immediate need to act all lovey-dovey, but nevertheless, you take his hand as you walk down the hallway toward your room. Jesse doesn't protest.