Chapter Twenty-Four: Warmth

As more and more people recover, Overwatch slowly goes back to normal. Everybody is constantly on edge. After all, there would be no better time than to strike. However, both parties in the attack had most of their resources depleted. You figured that everyone would need time to lick their wounds.

As a result of this, those healthy work most of the week. During a normal week, you'd have a day, or two if you were lucky, off. You would normally take a weekday off, as you haven't been one to go "out" since joining Overwatch. Now, due to the fact that you're one of the few well-rounded agents left healthy, you only get one evening off per week.

It's a Saturday night, around nine o'clock, when you find yourself wandering the familiar halls of the Upper Agent quarters. You approach Jesse's room and knock.

You hear him call, "Who is it?"

"Open the door, dummy."

Silence for a few seconds, before he opens the door, dressed in pajamas. "Nice to see you too," he says with an eye roll and a smile.

"Do you have tonight off?"

He raises an eyebrow, "yes? Why?" His voice trails off.

"Great. Get changed out of pajamas."

"Why?"

"It's only nine o'clock. We have the whole evening ahead of us! We're going out. Hurry!" You shove him back into his room, and shut his door before he can protest.

While you wait in the hallways, you see Genji walk down, hold up his watch to his door, and nod at you. You can't see his face, but you swear he's giving you a funny look. You nod back.

Five or so minutes pass, before Jesse exits the room, dressed in a flannel and jeans.

Wordlessly, you grab his hand and pull him down the hallway.

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere fun. Just trust me."

You wind your way through the halls, passing people heading back towards their quarters or toward late-night training sessions, and nod curtly. Everyone stares at you, but doesn't say anything. Jesse protests the whole way there.

Eventually, you find yourself in the large parking garage, where you find (y/favorite vehicle) which you leased a few years ago. You don't get to use it often, but it comes in handy on nights like this.

You hop into the drivers seat, and Jesse soon gets into the front seat.

"Here," you say, handing him your phone, "you DJ."

You start the car, and back out of the parking spot. Jesse takes a moment to look through your music, before you say, "Oh, I resubscribed to that streaming service. Here, one second." You take your phone back and open the app. "That should have everything."

Jesse whistles. "Everything is right."

Soon enough you're on the road, and Jesse turns on some old country music.

"This stuff has got to be from the 90s, you still listen to this?"

"Yeah, I've always liked the oldies. 70s music in general- also a sweet spot for me."

"Noted." You look over and smile.

The sun is long set as you wind your way through rural roads. Overwatch's base of operations seems like it's in the middle of nowhere, but there's fairly quick routes to civilized areas.

After about fifteen minutes, you make your way into town, the lights from streetlights and businesses flooding out into the cool summer air. It's a bit hard to find a spot to park, but you can parallel park in a pinch. You find a place a few block down from where you're headed.