Betrayal at it's Finest

A painful moan could be heard from inside the jail cell. Opening my eyes to a dark stone ceiling, with only a small window to provide light, I blinked to get rid of the blurring. I tried to get up, but a searing pain emitting from my abdomen, advised me not to. I tenderly placed my hand on the area where I was shot, a burning pain was all I got in return. Someone must've bandaged it. I lifted my shirt and looked down to see that I was right. I lay my head back down, a headache coming on. I looked around the small room. Wait, wait, wait, why the hell am I in a jail cell?? I looked outside the bars, there was a desk beyond them and a door leading out, but other than that no one was there . I groaned again. Ugh where the hell are the avengers, I'm sure they can vouch for me and get me the hell out of here. My eyes closed as I drifted back to sleep.

__________________________

"I still think it's unfair. He was getting that money for his sister."

"Killing innocent people is not something we can just ignore."

"He didn't! Up until trying to murder me, he had been killing only drug dealers."

"That is still killing, and it is against the law, I'm not going to vouch for him, just because he helped us take down a drug lord that we could've easily caught without him, and that he's killing, murdering people, innocent or not, he shouldn't be excused for that."

"Then why did you ask for his help?"

"So we can get him and his boss to confess that they were trying to kill you, we have the confessions right here."

The voices seemed distant, as I opened my eyes. So they've betrayed me, should've seen this coming. Still it didn't make it any easier. It was my fault for trusting that they would work for a criminal. The door at the end of the door rattled and in came the last person I wanted to see, captain freaking America.

I look up at the ceiling not wanting to see the man that turned me in.

"Hey." He greets.

I don't respond.

"How's your stomach?" He asks, and it sounded like he was genuinely concerned, but I dismissed that, thinking that he was a good actor.

"Did you turn him in?" I ask, my voice gruff.

"The boss? Yes we did, turns out his name was Ka-"

"Spare me the details." I put an arm over my head to shield my eyes, even though there wasn't any sunlight. A long stretch of a silence, then I hear Steve move to sit down. "Will I even get the money?" I ask knowing the answer.

A moment of silence, again.

"Why did you even take up this job?" He asks, as if he didn't know the answer already.

I scoff. "For the money obviously."

"No I mean-"

"I know what you mean." Another moment of silence and to be honest I was getting kinda bored of it. "For my sister, but you already know that don't you."

"Yeah, I did some reading, she was put on the transplant list for a set of new intestines, but she hasn't gotten a donor in 3 years, and the infection is, well, killing her."

I took in a deep breath, feeling my voice shake, "and I wanted to buy her that house that she loved when she was a kid, so we could live together and I can take care of her after her surgery, but she was never going to get that surgery, and she was dying, so I thought I'd have to get money, connections, in order to get her those stupid intestines, I spent a lot of money trying to get a donor, but they all led to dead ends, the house she wanted was almost bought by a number of people, but I kept paying the owner telling him that I would have all the money soon." I  was surprised when my voice didn't break. I felt a tear roll down my cheek, and quickly wiped it, not wanting to show any weakness.

"I'm sorry."

"If you were really sorry, you'd have kept your word and gave me my goddamn money!"

"I-, I don't know what to say."

"Then don't say anything at all, leave, just leave me alone."

I look to the door just in time to see Steve vanish through it, then I punch the wall and scream, scream at the cruel world. I let my tears roll down my face, as I sniffed.

"I'm sorry Annie, I failed you."