He's Alone For Thanksgiving Part 2

The Cooper family is sat around our small square table, holding hands as my brother said grace. When he was finally done and said amen we all repeated and then dug in.

We like to eat relatively early, around 4 so we can do the mountain load of dishes from preparing the dinner. And also so my parents have time to get back to their clients.

“Well isn’t this amazing?” My father says scooping a large helping of mashed potatoes on his plate.

“Yes you did very well on this dinner kids” My mother adds, not looking up from her food or her cellphone that sat right next to her plate.

“It was mostly Kady” Jason says smiling at me. I feel my mom pat my hand approvingly, the only thing she does to make me feel like I did something right.

We eat in silence, the sound of silverware clinking against glass plates. My father suddenly clears his throat, setting his fork and knife down and finishing his mouthful of food.

“So is anyone going to explain the second turkey in the kitchen?” Everyone looks around at each other confusingly as I shift in my chair.

“Oh yea, um sorry that’s for Ruby’s mom, she’s a terrible cook and I uh, promised” I mumble

“Oh Ruby is such a doll!”

“mhm” I reply, dragging my turkey through the potatoes and shoving it in my mouth.

“You should be more like her” my mom continues,

I nod and continue to eat. According to my mom I should be like everyone else but myself. This was going to be a long dinner.

-

[LUKE POV]

“Mom are you sure you don’t want to celebrate this year? We don’t have to cook or even leave; we can just watch something on the television?” I ask for the third time, but my mom just shakes her head and wallows deeper into her covers. I sigh and get up to leave

“Happy Thanksgiving” I mumble, I could hear a muffled sorry before turning the light off and closing the door.

I shuffle into our living room directly outside of my mom’s room and turn on the TV finding the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special that plays constantly around this time of year.

After leaving that show on, I head to the kitchen, retrieving a bottle of Fireball from the liquor cabinet and a cigarette leftover in my leather jacket. I light the cigarette and hold it in my mouth, the bottle in my hand and flop lazily on the couch, intermittently drinking and smoking.

I glance at the time below the TV, 6:30, then I look at my mom’s door, scowling, I take a large drink from my bottle. The cheap alcohol burning my throat and numbing my sadness. Not long after I sat down, there are a few knocks on the door. I ignore them and focus my attention back on the show, thinking it was just some sales person.

The knocks repeat and I mumble a string of curse words and get up, taking my sweet time to answer. I rip open the door; my half smoked cigarette hangs from my lips limply as I’m met with a pair of bright blue eyes.

“Hi” She says wispily. I look down and see a turkey in her arms, the steam building up in the plastic wrap that covers it.

“Kadence?” I ask, taking the cigarette from my mouth

“Luke” She immediately shoots back. I stare at her because I honestly did not know why she was here much less how she knew my actual address.

“What are you doing here?” I blurt out. She smiles and lifts her arms up slightly. I shift my attention to the turkey again, what the hell? I look back up at her and shake my head, not understanding.