Chapter Five: Bases

Chapter Five: Bases

***

Melanie:

"So, have you fudged him yet?"

"Celine! Ohmygosh, no, stop it."

My ears prick and my feet come to a screeching halt in the corridor outside Ophelia's half-open bedroom door.

Is eavesdropping bad parenting?

"Girl, I need details. How far have you, you know...?"

"Celine, I don't..."

"Come on, Fee. Have you tickled his pickle? Has he met the twins? Third base maybe? A little dry hum—"

"Ssshhhhhhhhh, stop it, Celine! Oh my god, please."

I have the urge to rinse that girl's mouth out with some soap and that's how I know I'm getting old and uncool.

She is definitely Steph's daughter, no doubt about it.

"Alright Fee, just give me a number. Past first base?"

My stomach lurches. Do I want to hear this?

I can practically see the pink blush staining my daughter's pretty little cheeks. "Um... maybe? We, uh..."

She sounds as shy and embarrassed talking about it as I would expect from her. Hm...

"Please tell me you know the bases, Ophelia."

"Celine, I... know them. They had that thing in Looking for Alaska, remember?"

"Good, okay. So then, you should know: French, Feel, Finger, or Fu—"

"Okay, okay, shhh. You're so dramatic, God."

"Tell me and then I'll leave you alone. Please, Fee. I need the best-friend deets so I can live vicariously... I mean, Luke's pretty hot for a white boy, I'll admit..."

Teenagers. Was I ever this obnoxious? I certainly hope not.

"Um... first. Almost second? Oh my gosh, Celine, I don't wanna talk about it. Let's just say..." She trails off.

"Let's just say what? Say it, bitch!"

Ophelia's voice lowers to a loud whisper. I crane my head and quiet my breathing so I can hear her. "Um, on Wednesday..." She takes a breath to steady herself.

Wednesday... when she was at Luke's before dinner and not answering her cell-phone.

"Yes?"

"We were, uh... you know. And then, uh... well..."

"Spit it out, girl!"

"I'm trying! It's personal, okay? I don't wanna ruin it by talking about it."

"Okay, so you were making out. And then what?"