Chapter Seven: Little Home-School Graduation

Steven got up bright and early to finalize today's big event. Little Home-School's first graduation! He smiled at the clear sky and nodded to himself. Today was the day. Everything he's been working toward was about to be over — a huge class of gems were ready to begin their life on Earth, outside of Little Homeworld if they wanted to, and were ready to begin their lives and individuals.

He sprinted outside, hopped in his car and headed off to the school. Beach City was still quiet; only the Big Donut's lights were on at this early hour. At Little Home-School, the Crystal Gems were busy putting up banners, balloons and setting up folding chairs.

"Hey, guys!" Steven called as he jumped out of his car and ran over to them. "Looking good!"

"Steven!" Peridot ran over. "Do you need me to throw flowers before the ceremony?"

Steven chuckled to himself. "No, Peridot, not this time. Just make sure everyone gets here on time, okay?"

She saluted and ran off, no doubt to go bang on doors to rouse gems.

He looked over and watched Lapis lower one of the banners between two buildings while Bismuth hung it. It read, "Congratulations! You did it!" Lapis waved to Steven and Bismuth turned and smiled, her hands too busy to do anything else. He returned both gestures before walking over to Pearl, who was looking over a checklist.

"We got everything?" Steven asked, peering over the corner of the paper.

"Looks like it!" Pearl announced. "Amethyst and Greg are getting the catering a little later and Garnet is nearly done with the stage!"

Garnet gave a thumbs up after putting a large decorative rug over the warp.

"This is going to be awesome," Steven said, looking over the scene. "Our first graduation ceremony."

"You ready for it?" Pearl asked, glancing down at the young adult. "Speech all ready?"

Steven nodded. "I got this," he said confidently. "I'm going to check in with Amethyst. Let me know if you need anything!"

The hours sped by as Steven ran between each project, helping everyone set up and decorate. Before he knew it, the chairs were filled with gems and it was time.

He stepped onto the warp, which served as their stage, and cleared his throat. All of the gems in the crowd, including Padparadscha , Larimar, Snowflake, looked over to him.

"When most of you first came to Earth, your goal was to take over the planet," Steven said, looking softly at every gem. "And some of you can here to be free. Whether you were made here or traveled here, you all suffered at the hands of the Diamonds. But things are different now. Now, Earth is a place where you can be free and where you all can be yourselves.

"By graduating Little Home-School, you've accepted yourself and learned to love who you are," Steven continued. "You've all grown so much since I first met you and I couldn't be prouder to call you all my friends.

"Congratulations to everyone! You did it," he smiled, opening his hands. "To the first graduating class of Little Home-School!"

The gems cheered, clapping and putting their hands in the air. Pearl called out their names and handed them homemade certificates, courtesy of Lapis and Peridot, and the gems shook Steven's hand, one by one.

"Thank you, Steven!" Larimar said. "I like the cheers, almost as much as I like screams!"

"We'll work on that next," Steven told Larimar, laughing nervously.

"Work on what?" The ice gem said before Pearl ushered her off the stage.

Everything was going smoothly until the last row of gems stood to receive their diploma. A shadow fell over them, blocking out the sun. Everyone looked up nervously.