Chapter 12: Backup Arrives

It was Connie's banging on Steven's door that roused the Crystal Gems from their chambers.

"Connie?" Pearl asked, confused. She took in her quivering and frantic form, the scratch under her eye and the lack of her date. "What happened? Where's Steven?"

"He's not here?!" Connie exclaimed, wildly looking around. "He...," she showed Pearl's Snowflake's gem, which was cupped in her hands. "I think he's in trouble."

Pearl caused and drew back at the sight of her friend's gemstone. She set her face and ushered Connie inside. Connie sat down as Pearl called Garnet and Amethyst to the room.

"Tell us everything," she said, taking control of the situation.

Connie explained how everything was going great when Snowflake accidentally hurt her. She told them how Steven immediately turned pink, formed a bubble around his fist, and jabbed his arm right through Snowflake's unsuspecting form. How he stood over Snowflake's gem, his face devoid of guilt, and how he knocked her down and then came to his senses. How he ran at a speed she couldn't follow.

Amethyst looked to Garnet. "Can you find him?"

The fusion didn't immediately answer. "I can't," she said, her voice blank.

Pearl nodded. "Then we need to start looking. Connie, stay here."

Connie jumped up. "No way, I'm coming too!"

Pearl put her hand on Connie's shoulder. "I know you're worried, but we need someone here in case he comes back."

The teen huffed but nodded. "I'll call you if he does," she vowed, her face was determined.

The gems split up their duties. Garnet would check the Earth warp spots, Amethyst would look around Little Home-School and Pearl would check around the city. All of them glanced at Snowflake's motionless gemstone before heading out the door.

"This is bad," Amethyst said once Connie was out of earshot. "Steven? Poof a gem?"

"I know," Pearl said. "It has to be his new power. We all know his powers are manipulated by his emotions. If it's anything like what he did at the Reef," she trailed off, eyes scanning the horizon.

"We'll find him," Garnet said, face vacant. "He'll be fine."

"Yeah," Amethyst said. "It's Steven after all."

They searched well into the night. No one had seen or heard from Steven since he and Connie left Fish Stew Pizza. They returned home and found Connie asleep on the couch. She stirred when they opened the door. Her face fell when Steven wasn't with them.

She was about to speak when the warp sounded and a flash of light illuminated the sky.

They all rushed upstairs.

"Steven!?" Connie called as the figure took shape.

"Not quite." Spinel stepped off the warp, her eyes wide and face terrified. "He's not here?!"

The gems shook their heads.

"What do you need, Spinel?" Garnet asked.

"Steven!" she exclaimed. "Something is attacking Homeworld! We need backup. The Diamonds...," she trailed off, her eyes filling with despair.

Pearl summoned her spear. "Connie, stay here and wait for Steven. We'll go on ahead."

Connie nodded, knowing she was useless to them without her sword. "You can count on me."

The Crystal Gems all stepped on the warp with Spinel and were gone in moments.

Homeworld was indeed a mess. The throne room was destroyed with a large hole in the back wall and pieces of the roof missing. The gems caught a glimpse of the rest of the planet and saw smoke rising from the city and a line of destruction leading to or from the palace.