Chapter 10: The Big Day

Steven was nervously bouncing on the balls of his feet as he reached up to knock on Connie's door. He healed his hands before he left, but kept the bruise as a reminder to him to keep his power in check. The dull ache was almost a welcome distraction from the butterflies in his stomach.

He was wearing his usual outfit, wanting to keep it casual and not put too much pressure on tonight.

Connie opened the door and smiled at him. The slight blush on her face complemented her periwinkle sundress.

"Wow," Steven said before he could stop himself. "You look great!"

Connie hid her face and stepped outside. "Thanks," she said. "Let's go before my parents stop us for a photo."

Steven ran ahead and opened Connie's door to his Dondai. He closed it behind her before jumping into the car himself.

"Ready?" He asked her, smiling. She nodded and looked out the window, her hands in her lap. "You okay?"

"Huh?" Connie looked over, surprised. "Fine!" she assured him, looking nervous, but happy.

He smiled at her and pulled the car away from her house. "So what sounds good?" He asked her as they pulled onto the main road.

Connie thought for a moment. "Pizza," she settled on, looking over to Steven.

"Pizza it is!" He said. The pair arrived at Fish Stew Pizza, not talking, but the silence wasn't uncomfortable.

"Steven, Connie!" greeted Kiki. "I got a table for you two by the window."

"Thanks Kiki!" Steven said. The pair settled at the table and glanced at the window, suddenly unable to look at each other, though the few short glances caused heat to rise in Steven's face. Judging by Connie's blush, she felt it too.

"So," she said after a second, clearing her throat. "Emerald?"

"Oh!" Steven said. He completely forgot that he used Emerald as an excuse to hang out with her. "Yeah. She came to Earth after tracking the Sun Incinerator," Steven began. He quickly went over how Lars didn't want to give the ship back.

"Let me guess," Connie said. She struck a dramatic pose in her chair and pretended to push back a cape. "You'll never catch us, Emerald!" she said, lowering her voice to match Lars's.

Steven laughed. "You nailed it," he said.

He told her all about how Emerald shot her own ship out of the sky and how he managed to deflect the blasts using his new power.

"So it's like a power boost?" Connie theorized after Steven was done talking. "It makes you stronger and faster?"

Steven nodded. "It's actually kind of cool. It's just a little unpredictable right now."

Connie nodded and was about to speak, but was cut off by Kiki delivering their pizza to the table.

"Enjoy you two," she said before winking and walking off. Connie's face went crimson and she voided Steven's gaze, though he caught her looking at him from the reflection in the window. Steven smiled to himself and cut her a slice before getting one for himself.

"So yeah," he said, leaning back and looking outside. "Another gem wanted to kill me and failed."

Connie sighed. "I should have been there to help. I'm sorry I missed the graduation."

Steven shrugged. "It's okay," he said, honestly. "You had class."

"So why did Emerald want to hurt you?" Connie asked after a couple of minutes of them eating in silence.