Chapter Nine: It's Nothing

He was sitting with his back against the wall of the warp room, his hands still bleeding slightly, dirt-caked his hair and spines were caught in his torn shirt. His eyes were fixated on the small, cracked and discarded pot that the cactus originally lived in.

Thoughts raced through his mind, but not one was coherent. The emotions that surged with them were. He didn't mean any of it. The cactus was only supposed to thrive, not become sentient. He was supposed to help it, not hurt it. Heal it, not make it worse. Even before he lost control, it wanted nothing to do with him. It was violent. Animalistic. Like it didn't know it's purpose.

Sure, the Watermelon Steven formed a warrior tribe after he led them to fight Malachite, but this was different. They were peaceful at first and then grew into their own tribes. Pumpkin was a sweet pet too.

Did he do something wrong? Was he just not focused enough on what he was doing? He looked to the rose bush. Would those attack him too if he tried to heal a drooping bud?

The warp pad activated and Steven jumped, he quickly brushed off his shirt and tried to clean out his hair before the light faded. A small silhouette formed and suddenly, she was there.

"Spinel," Steven said, relieved.

"Steven!" She smiled, but it faded when she saw that state he was in. "Did that rose plant beat you up or something?"

Steven chuckled lightly, his hand grabbing his elbow in a guarded way. "Something like that," he said, not wanting to go into it. "What's up?"

Spinel hopped off the warp. "I wanted to make sure you're okay."

"I'm fine," Steven said, though the second word got caught in his throat.

"Mhmm, sure," Spinel said, leaning over and peering at him. "What's wrong?"

Steven sighed and leaned back against the wall once more. "I'm just tired of gems trying to kill me," he bluntly stated, avoiding anything about his new power. "Last week it was Bluebird, yesterday it was Emerald, today it was a feral cactus," he listed. "Who's next?"

"I don't know who those are," Spinel said. "What's a cactus?"

"Oh, right," Steven said, laughing slightly. "Just gems who are resisting change. A cactus is a plant."

Spinel nodded to show she understood. "Some gems just want to get their anger out and you're the perfect target. I would know," she joked, her thumb pointed at her chest. "I bet you proved them wrong."

Steven shook his head. "Two of them flew off into space yelling that I smelled and the other retreated after I nearly destroyed her spaceship."

"Sounds like a typical day for you," Spinel said, nudging Steven.

Steven sighed and gently pushed the pink gem's arm back. "Spinel, I appreciate you checking in on me, but I'm fine. I just want to be alone right now."

Spinel deflated, almost literally. Her posture fell and her arms and shoulders dropped to the floor. "I'm just trying to be a friend," she said, her eyes begging Steven.

"Okay, fine, fine," Steven said, throwing up his hands. "But please, don't mention any of this to the other gems. I don't want them to worry."

Spinel smiled and bounced back to her original shape. "If they ask, I'll just say we were playing a game!" She said, picking up dirt and smearing it on her cheek. She winked at Steven, who managed a real smile.

Steven led her down the stairs and back into his room. He quickly changed his shirt and Spinel helped him pull out any prickers left in his hair.

"Hey," she said, pulling her hand away from Steven's arm. "What's that?"