Rats

Ch.25

Daeho woke up early this morning. Earlier than you which was saying something. He always takes his chances to sleep in even when you guys have work to go to. There was at least half an hour left before your own alarm rang when he got up. The boy was shifting around in his bed a lot. It looked like he was struggling to get himself up with his own alarm clock. Naturally, all the movement he was making woke you up. You were still sleepy as you watched him lazily leave the room. He doesn't need an alarm to go to the bathroom. Though you were curious, sleep took over once again. The second you closed your eyes, you found yourself waking up to the regular alarm for work.

A couple more days before you get Sunday off. At least Délice doesn't open until twelve on Saturdays, but you do have to stay late most workdays anyway. Being a chef is extremely time consuming that you doubted you could ever maintain any type of relationship. Yet here you were with Daeho and—wait. Where's Daeho? Fully waking up, you panicked to not see him bundled under his blankets. It took your brain a few seconds to realize there was nothing to worry about. You had almost forgotten witnessing Daeho leave the bedroom. Why did he leave in the first place? Swinging your legs off the bed, you walked over to twist the doorknob. The faint smell of pancakes hit your nose as you opened the door.

Pancakes?

You softly shut the door behind you. Was Daeho making breakfast? Tip toeing in the direction of the kitchen, you peeked to see if he was actually making pancakes. There stood Daeho in front of the griddle with a plate of pancakes by his side. You grinned at him before examining the rest of his surroundings. From the looks of it, Daeho most likely messed up once. Despite his mess up, you're glad he continued until he made it right. You slowly walked into the kitchen to get a closer look at his work. Daeho stiffened up the second he heard you. He instantly faced you with pursed lips. What was with that look? You couldn't understand why he was knitting his brows at you like that.

"This was supposed to be a surprise!" Daeho huffed, his cheeks getting puffy with the pout forming on his face.

"But it was a surprise! I didn't expect this at all," You said. Daeho kept a soft glare on you before he flipped a pancake. You wanted to shake your head lightly at him. "Gluten free?"

"Yes." Daeho groaned. "Obviously. Is that even a question at this point?"

"I'm just checking." You shrugged peacefully. It was an innocent question, but you knew it could get under Daeho's nerves. He doesn't care too much about his inability to eat it. At this point, it was something he's grown used to. It was only a few times you've witnessed him wanting to risk it for the hell of it. That is something you strongly don't encourage on his behalf.

"Y'know Eomma, one of these days—"

"I don't want to hear nonsense." You grabbed a plate and held it out towards Daeho expectantly. The boy stared at your plate for a couple seconds before looking back at you. "Aren't you going to put a pancake on my plate?"

"Hmph...you can serve yourself." Daeho poked the plate full of pancakes in your direction. You sighed at his cold treatment. This was all just an act. Somehow you could almost see Daeho as a pouty five year old. The thought immediately made you want to hug Daeho. You giggled to yourself as you set down the plate. The boy's brows furrowed before he felt you hug him from behind. "Ah! W-What are you doing!?"

"What do you think?" You remarked.

"I'm going to burn the pancakes, Eomma!" Daeho whined.

"It's called multitasking and that's very important when becoming a chef." You pulled away from the blushing male. Daeho stared at you quietly with big eyes. Though Daeho hasn't mentioned anything about becoming a chef, you didn't think it would hurt to give him little tips. You put pancakes on your plate, suppressing the urge to smile as Daeho watched you take a seat. He continued to awkwardly finish up with the batter he had left. As much as he wanted to hide it, you could see the tiny smile on his face.