College Series (#1)

(Part 2. Continuation from Blow-Up)

Louie's POV

Day 1

"I can't believe the day is finally here. It seems like yesterday we got our acceptance letters." Dewey gave me a small smile, and I returned it half-heartedly. Today was the day Dewey would be heading off to his college in Cape Suzette. Huey would be leaving tomorrow since the school was only across town. He would stay there during the week and come back on weekends when he could. Dewey would come back for holidays and three day weekends, but nothing more.

"Yea. Now let's get a move on, no need to start at your new college being late." Scrooge smiled at him and walked out the door, leaving me, Dewey, and Huey alone. We just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what is to come next.

"Well..." Dewey started, but I stopped him. I grabbed Huey and Dewey and pulled them in for a hug. It would be a while till all of us are together again. When I let them go, Dewey looked as if he was holding back tears. "I'll see you guys soon, I promise." He smiled, then turned away, disappearing behind the door. Huey and I watched the door close, then we rushed over to the window. Dewey sat next to Launchpad with Scrooge in the back. The car turned away, going down the hill that not only 3 months ago we had chased Huey down.

"I can't believe he is going... I thought we would have more time." Huey whispered when the car was fully out of sight. These past 3 months had passed quicker than usual, probably because the apprehension of Huey's and Dewey's departures were high. Now, the two days were here, and I didn't know it would be this hard.

"Yea, come on. Let's go pack up your stuff."I said, barely recognizing my voice. Huey followed me as we went up the stairs and through the halls. We turned the corner, but I didn't keep going. I heard a small whimper from Webby's room. Huey and I glanced at each other before walking in.

"Webby?" Huey asked, his voice low. We looked up to see Webby standing on her ladder, holding a letter. "What's wrong?" She just shook her head and tossed the letter to us. I caught it, and read through it. I threw it at Huey, then rushed up the ladder to Webby.

"Webs, he will miss you. A break isn't going to hurt anyone. He wants you to be happy while he is gone, and having a long-distance relationship isn't healthy. That doesn't mean he will come back with someone new." Webby sniffed, looking at me. Sure, was it right for Dewey to tell her they were taking a break in that way? No, of course not. But it must've hurt him. Dewey wasn't the type of duck to not end things in person.

"I know, but what am I going to do when he gets back? Every break will be so awkward. And what about the summer? Will we just go back to dating and breaking up?" She sighed, wiping the tears off her face. Huey was sitting on her other side, and I looked at him. I wasn't good at these types of things, but Huey had Violet as his girlfriend. He would know more.

"I don't know Webby. I think what Dewey means by this letter is you can choose. If you want to stay together, great. If you don't want to be an on-and-off-again relationship, Dewey will support it." Huey said, rubbing his hand on her back. She nodded slowly.

"Thank you, both. I know putting this all on you isn't easy." She smiled at both of us. "I can help you guys pack! That'll take my mind off of Dewey for a while!" Webby's happy attitude was back, and I smiled at her. Even through hard times, Webby always found something to smile at.

"Let's go!" Huey copied her happy attitude, quickly climbing down the ladder. Webby followed him, chasing him. I went down slowly, not really in the mood to fake happiness. I walked through the halls alone, Huey and Webby already out of sight. Is this what it'll feel like when Huey leaves tomorrow? Just me, walking through the halls, only my thoughts to listen to? At least Huey will be back every weekend.