Chapter 19

Mel POV

I looked at the clock as I pulled up to the address that Caleb had given me. It was 10:52, we had eight minutes to spear in silence. When we parked, my eyes guided their way to the house.

They had moved, I could see the large size of the house from a block away. I was surprised by the size, I didn't think a house could get bigger than the one that they had had seven years ago, but I could see it obviously could.

As I became enchanted by the house, Chris snapped me out of the daze by placing his hand on my thigh. I snapped my head to look at him. His compassionate smile made my heart gush. My blank expression formed into a giddy smile as I placed my hand on top of his. He then turns his hand so I could intertwine my fingers in his.

"You ready for this?" I ask him after a minute of sitting with my hand in his, in silence.

"Depends. Do we know what this about?" Chris asked me, raising his eyebrows in suspicion. I titled my head back, thinking of our conversation over the phone. Caleb hadn't mentioned any specifics.

"Maybe getting my old job back?" I shrugged grabbing my purse which I had thrown in the back of the car.

"Anything I need to know?" Chris asked raising his eyebrow in suspicion. I titled my head once more thinking to myself. After a few seconds, I came up with nothing and shook my head.

"What is your occupation?" I jokily tested him.

"I'm a Businessman, mainly work in finance."

"Where do you work?" I continued our quizzing session. Even if he did blank on the spot, I knew I'd be able to cover, but he did need to remember as much as possible.

"I am currently unemployed. I was recently let go from Crystal Lakes Institute when they relocated to Georgia." His confidence impressed me. His answers actually impressed me as well; I didn't think he'd be as sharp as he was.

"Very good." I giggled and his serious expression turned into a smile.

Then suddenly, he exited the car and I watched, confused. I glanced at the clock that read 10:58 and once my door swung open, I knew his thoughts. Chris greeted me with his arm extended for support. I wrapped my arm around his and followed him out of the car.

I felt him take a deep breath as we walked up the driveway and to the entrance of the house. I tightened my arm around his, bringing us both comfort. I did the deed and lifted my right hand, landing two quick knocks on the tall door.

"Good afternoon." A well-dressed gentleman stated as the door swung open and he welcomed us in. I flashed a small smile and looked around the extravagant house. The beauty of the house made me believe I was in a daydream.

"Ms. Knight!" I saw a young boy walking towards me. We stepped into the house and the man shut the door behind us. As the boy came closer, I saw he was August. His boyish grin was irreplaceable. I released my grip from Chris and felt my arms wrap around him.

"Good afternoon, August." I said with a smile as I stepped back and wrapped my nearest arm around Chris's back. Chris was tense, I could feel it, but it would unrecognizable by anyone but me.

Chris's arm tightly gripped my waist. August continued to stare up at the two of us with squinted eyes of joy and a dashing smile.

"August, you should escort them to the dining room." I heard the well-dressed man speak from beside us. I glanced to my side to his half smile.

"Yes, Mr. Paisley is right." He paused, "Right this way." August said stepping in front of us to guide us to where to go. As we started walking, I hear Chris whisper something, but it wasn't intended for me to hear.

"Thank you." I observed Chris nod his head in the man's direction, showing his gratitude. I turned ahead. Chris was such a gentlemen. I though to myself as I tried hiding my smile of pride.

As August walked through many rooms, I saw many beautiful paintings, vases, furniture, looking at each and not daring to guess the prices.

As we arrived in a room with a long table and many chairs, I assumed we were where we needed to be. I stared at each of the adults in the room. There had to approximately four couples. My eyes rested on Caleb, who had not noticed I had arrived. I glanced to the left of him, a young girl with blonde hair was exchanging conversation with him. This had to be his sister.

"Kara." I heard Mrs. Smith speak and the room went silent at her sound. Everyone's eyes were now on us as I watched August take a seat next to Caleb as Chris and I remained standing awkwardly in the room. I showed my smile and held Chris closer.

"Good afternoon." I said to the group and they all nodded in politeness. I saw Mr. Smith stand from his seat and I cautiously waited for his words.

"Kara and..." He waited for Chris's name that apparently his wife had not shared.

"Chris Wood." Chris said leaving my grasp, removing his arm, and walking over to shake his hand personally. Although I was catch off guard by his actions, Mr. Smith was quiet impressed (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't).

"Kara and Chris, please sit. I'd love to introduce you to everyone." He told us as he shook Chris's hand slowly. When he let go of Chris's hand, the conversation in the room erupted.

I spotted two empty seats at the end of the table close to Mrs. Smith and her children. Her husband was at the opposite end of the table and I was thankfully we were not near him.

Chris pulled my seat back for me and I graciously showed him my gratitude. He pushed the chair in softly and sat next to me. I watched him do so before directing my attention to people around the table.

Chris POV

I couldn't tell if Melissa had noticed my nervousness or if I was hiding it well, but when I sat down, and her hand wrapped around mine. I knew it'd be a matter of time before she felt the tension that controlled me.

"Chris and Kara, it's so nice to see you both again." Mrs. Smith said to us both flashing her elegant smile. "Before my husband introduces you to our friends, Kara I wanted to ask if you are employed anywhere yet." I looked over at Melissa.

"No, not yet." Her widened her smile sheepishly, showing her embarrassment.

"Well, if you're still willing, since you did such a fine job with Caleb." Her words were kind. I watched as Mrs. Smith and Caleb exchanged a smile before she drew her attention back on Melissa. "I would like to hire you as August's and Evelyn's tutor as well."

I drew my eyes back on Melissa who smiled with delight. Her eyes were glided to the three children, then to me, and then back to Mrs. Smith.

"I would be honored." She told her. Mrs. Smith was quite pleased with this as she leaned back into her chair.

"Perfect. You'll start Monday." She said before drawing her attention to the food on her plate. Melissa's eyes moved to me and I gave her an approving smile.

"And you must be Evelyn." Melissa said looking at the little girl who had to be around the age of seven. The girl's features of blonde hair and blue eyes were the opposite of the boy's dark brown hair and green eyes. The girl giggled at her words.

"Yes." She continued to giggle, showing the fact that her lifestyle had not affected her personality yet.

"You have a beautiful name." I said to her. Her cheek blushed as she hides her face into her brother's jacket. I could see Melissa's nod of agreement from the corner of my eye. Then, Melissa's eyes met mine and we exchange another causally sweet smile.