VIII. Choices

Two days into travelling back to the capital, King Robert had ordered everyone to stop officially so he was able to dine with his two friends on an open field

"Gods, this is country!" Robert beams, looking around the hugely grass covered area that went on for miles. "I've half a mind to leave em' all behind and keep going." He slumps down on his chair next to Bennard and Eddard.

"We've half a mind to go with you." Ned replies in a neutral tone.

"What do you say? Just us three, on the Kingsroad, swords are our sides, a couple of tavern wenches to warm our beds tonight?" Robert grins at his friends.

"Should've asked me twenty years ago." Ned chuckles.

"There were wars to fight, women to marry. We never had the chance to be young." Robert picks at his food.

"I recall a few chances." Ned scratches his neck, as Robert erupts into laughter and a smirk appears on Bennards face.

"There was that one..." Robert begins, trying to recall the woman. "Oh what was her name? That common girl of yours?"

"Becca!" Bennard begins to join in the conversation, he was quiet due to all the travelling he had done the past few weeks, it had certainly exhausted him.

"Yes Becca with the great big tits that you could bury your face in!"

"Bessie!" Eddard corrects, "and she was one of yours."

"Bessie!" The King rejoices. "Thanks the Gods for Bessie! And her tits!" All the men begin to laugh again.

"Yours was Aleena?" Robert continues to reminisce, "No, you told me once." He sighs, talking to himself as he tries to gain memory of the name. "Meryl? Your bastards mother?"

Bennard looks at Ned with sympathy, knowing that it's a subject Eddard hates to talk about. He still feels guilty to this day for the shame and upset he brought to his family.

"Wylla." Ned simply states, looking away from both men.

"That's it!" Robert says with eagerness, "She must've been a rare wench to make Lord Eddard Stark forget his honour. You never told me what she looked like."

"Nor will I." Ned simply states, looking out at the open field. Robert's face frowns watching him as he makes eye contact with Bennard before speaking again.

"We were at war." He states. "None of us knew if we were gonna go back home again. You're too hard on yourself."

"You always have been!" Bennard pats Neds shoulder.

"I swear if I hadn't have been King, you'd have hit me already."

"Worst thing about your coronation. I'll never get to hit you again." Ned grins.

"Trust me. That's not the worst thing." The King grumbles, pulling a scroll out his shirt. "There was a rider in the night."

Ned opens the scroll, and scans his eyes over it. "Daenerys Targaryen has wed some Dothraki horse lord. What of it?" He angrily throws the scroll back down.