EM misses her kid's appointment because she was too busy watching TV

r/entitledparents

u/Thatlilone

I'm an optician.

Cast: EM- mom, NK- nice kid, T- vision tech, FD- front desk receptionist.

I'm mostly watching in the sidelines for this one but I figured y'all would appreciate the story anyway.

EM and NK come in and check in. They were a smidge early for their appointment (15 mins or so) and after they checked in they sat down. NK was quietly playing something on an ipad.

For those of you unfamiliar with waiting rooms, most have TVs where they play something for the patients to watch. For us its nature shows so there doesn't need to be sound, just pretty fish swimming around. EM for the most part is watching the TV, totally enamored at the sharks. Soon enough 15 minutes pass by and EM gets called.

T: EM? EM last name?

EM: *Keeps watching the tv*

T and I make eye contact and I nudge towards EM. T shrugs and calls her name again then retreats.

5 minutes later T tries again, and this time NK pokes his mom and whispers to her. EM shushes the kid and continues watching tv. T retreats again and tries another 5 minutes later, this time walking up to her.

T: Excuse me ma'am, are you EM?

EM: *Annoyed* Yes, what do you want??

T: We're ready for you to come back for NK's appointment.

EM: Can't you see we're busy? Come back later.

T: Ma'am your appointment was booked 15 minutes ago.

EM: It's not MY appointment, it's my son's.

NK: It's okay mommy I can go myself.

EM: Nonsense we want to watch the fishies!

T: Ma'am we have the sam show in the waiting room-

EM: LEAVE US ALONE I WILL TELL YOU WHEN WE ARE READY.

T: That's not how appointments work.

EM: I DON'T CARE. I will stay here and watch my show.

T and I make eye contact again and I shrug and go back to writing emails. T sighs and makes her way to the back of the office, probably to ask the office manager what to do.

10 minutes later, T comes out and talks with her again.

T: Ma'am if your son doesn't come for his appointment you will need to reschedule. This show is always on, and you won't miss anything.

EM: *Ignoring* LOOK NK DOLPHINS!

T: Ma'am I-

EM: OOOOOOOH< WOW LOOK AT THAT SPLASH!

T: Your appointment-

EM: WOW NK LOOK AT THAT!

T: Okay.

T walks out and other patients get called. Now this lady literally kept watching the 2 hour special and finally, after the credits rolled, she walks up to the desk. At this point I had gone to lunch and came back and she was still there.

EM: Okay we're ready now.

FD: Sorry, for what?

EM: NK's appointment!

FD: Ma'am you were checked in over 2 hours ago, your appointment is already finished.

EM: That's ridiculous, we never went back.

FD: T called you 5 times, well past your appointment time-

EM: Well WE were watching the fishes on your tv!

FD: I understand that ma'am but your appointment was at 10AM, it's now noon. You will have to reschedule.

EM: That's crap we've been here waiting! It's not MY fault that you had a good show on.

FD: Ma'am as much as we appreciate feedback on the shows we have in the waiting room, you missed your appointment. I might be able to squeeze you in for a 3PM if you're able to come back.

EM: NO WE WILL BE SEEN NOW!

NK: Mommy, the lady told you-

EM: BE QUITE NK. The grown ups are talking.

FD: I'm sorry ma'am other than rescheduling you, the doctor will not be able to see you today.

EM: We were watching the show!

FD: I understand but you missed your appointment so we will need to reschedule you.

EM: IT'S NOT FOR ME, ITS FOR HIM! *Jabbing her finger at the little boy*.

FD: Then we will have to reschedule him for his eye appointment.

EM: YOU PEOPLE ARE RIDICULOUS IF YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE WATCHING TV DONT HAVE THEM ON!

FD: I apologize for having entertainment in the waiting room, can I reschedule you for the next available appointment?

EM turned bright red and threw her hands up in the air and stormed off - without her kid. The poor kid stood there for a few moments before running after his mom.