C H A P T E R N I N E

REINA'S POV

"How did you talk me into this?" Cara joked as she smirked at the idea of warding off raider scum for 'lunch money'.

"Come on, worst case senario: you get to tune up your blaster. Best case senario: We're a deterrent." Mando compromised, and leaned back in a comfortable position, of which the baby adorably followed suit. I couldn't hold in a smile with the shake of my head. Mando looked over at me. "Hey, why don't you join in and relaxed? Aren't you always saying how 'uptight' I can be? Eat your own words, Reina."

"Har har." I stuck my tongue out childishly, but couldn't argue with the idea of a nice nap before arriving at the village in the morning. I scooted myself down before resting my head on my bag right next to my partner. "Oh wow, look at all those stars..." I gawked at the clear night sky, sparkling with the billion stars and planets that blanketed it as far as the eye can see. "I forgot how beautiful the stars were..." Suddenly, an old memory bounced its way into my mind and I went silent, focusing to clear my head and try to relax.

Cara casually rubbed a cloth over her weapon with a cheeky grin. "So what is your story, Reina? I'm curious how you two ended up as partners since you couldn't be anymore different with a good heart like yours."

"Well, I wouldn't say that." Reina hummed, resting her hands on her stomach, keeping her dark brown eyes on the passing sky through the line of trees. "I'm sure we have very different backgrounds, but in the end, we both have our morals, our codes, our ways of life...and we both have good hearts. I'll even argue Mando's is especially good."

"Thank you." Mando almost seemed to stutter at my compliment.

"You might not believe this, Cara, but I used to be blind. It was only recently when I received my vision back."

"How did that happen?" Cara questioned, and Mando and I exchanged glances before I cleared my throat. "Well, that's a little difficult to explain. Nevertheless, it's been a little over twenty years since I've physically seen the world...and I'm just now beginning to understand why people always say 'treasure every moment'."

"Wait," Cara laughed in disbelief. "You were a blind bounty hunter? How did that work out for you?"

"I guess you can call my skills a sixth sense." I gave her the short answer with a mischievious smirk. Chatting with Cara was a breather to me; for once, I could let my guard in front of someone else besides Mando and just enjoy connecting with a new ally and friend. Eventually, Cara dozed off, and I could feel my eyes growing heavy, but I held off so I could watch the sky some more. Just a litte longer.

"I've missed this..." I breathed.

"Missed what?" Mando startled me from his sudden response. "I thought you were already asleep." We both kept our voices low as we talked, careful not to wake Cara or the child. I sighed. "I've missed what it was like to just...breath. You know what I mean?"

"I do." Mando agreed. "This planet...is kinda of like the one you used to live on, isn't it? Haloes, right?"

I didn't realize that until Mando recalled, and a lump formed in my throat. "Yes, I guess it does." Damn it, my voice cracked.

"Reina?" Mando lifted his head to look at me. "You okay?" I nodded honestly and hummed, "Mhmm, but now I'm thinking of my dead parents, you jerk."

"Was that a joke?" Mando questioned my tone.

"Yes." We both let a snicker escape our lips, though with Mando's voice modulator, it broke the stiffled laugh into bits, making me grin even more. Once we calmed down, there was a moment of silence between us as we both gazed up at the sky.

"Reina, can I ask you a question?" Mando finally asked.

"Sure."

"Did you ever want to do something else in your life besides bounty hunting?"

I was not expecting that, and I propped myself up on right arm to look down on him at his T shaped visor. "What kind of question is that? Of course, I did. In fact, I still do!" I giggled through my amused grin, tucking a hanging strand of hair behind my ear. "Don't tell me you never thought of doing something besides bounty hunting?"

"Well, do I have a choice?" Mando's reply silenced my amused behavior.

"What do you mean, Mando?" I asked quietly, finding myself leaning slightly closer to my partner.

"I'm a Mandalorian. There's not much I can do without the rising suspicion of anyone I come in contact with. I'm already an outcast to the covert because I'm part of the Guild, but it's how I pay them back for taking me in. To provide for the foundlings. I don't hunt for myself. I hunt for the Mandalorians. Now, look at me. I'm responsible for the covert exposing themselves to the surface because of my choices. What am I hunting for now?"

"Do you regret saving the child, Mando?"

"No." he replied immediately.

"Then, you are not responsible for the covert's exposure." I said. " You followed what your heart told you and the Mandalorians respected that. You call youself an outcast? Do you really think they would perform such a feat for you if you were one? Pardon my Gungan, Mando, but 'Mesa tink you outta reconsider you thoughts'." I acted out my best Gungan impression, and only received a monotone glare from Mando. "I'm sorry...we were having a moment, I know."

Mando's head returnd to its original position, and I lowered myself down onto my back and refolded my hands on my stomach. Before I closed my eyes to catch some sleep, I breathed one last message to the Mandalorian, "Mando, I don't plan on going anywhere away from you or the baby, so please just promise me this one thing: That you never regret what you do when your heart tells you something. I meant it when I said you have a good heart, and I know you always do what's right. No matter what. Okay, partner?"

I managed to hear Mando's reply before succumbing to a deep sleep.

"I promise, Reina."