Chapter 21

AALIYAH

My husband is home after being gone for about two weeks. 

Am I happy to see him? I don't think so. 

I'm not surprised when he doesn't hug me. 

Lefa: "We have to talk "

Me: "Well, hello to you too "

Mom went to get some groceries. She promised to stay with me until he comes back. 

The nanny has been given time off. 

Lefa: "You need to move out "

Me: "Oh and why is that? "

The door opens and Hailey comes in. 

Me: "(chuckles) Really now? "

Honestly, I'm a little hurt by this. I have some heaviness in my heart but I won't give them the satisfaction. 

The truth is, I love Lefa. 

Hailey: "Hi Aaliyah "

I sit down. 

I'm a month pregnant so it's not showing and he's not aware. 

Me: "Let's hear this. "

Hailey: "My divorce from Jerry has been finalised "

Lefa: "Hailey and I love each other and I'm sorry but I choose her. I want a divorce "

Me: "Really? "

Hailey: "Don't make this drag any longer, he doesn't love you "

Me: "Oh? So you think I'm just going to hand him over to you on a silver platter? "

Lefa: "Aaliyah, let's just be realistic, our marriage has been dead for two years. We've both been in denial. I'm happy, Hailey makes me happy and she's moving in "

Mom: "(coming in) What's going on? "

They both keep quiet. 

Me: "(chuckles) My husband and his mistress are kicking my kids and I out "

Mom: "Is it? "

Lefa: "(clears throat) Hi Mrs Rhodes "

Mom: "It's actually Dr Rhodes "

Hormones are something else. One moment I'm done with this marriage, the next I don't want him to leave. 

One minute I hate him and suddenly I don't and the thought of him leaving me shatters my heart. 

I'll break apart later now I have to deal with this. 

Me: "Mom, please give us a moment "

Mom: "Don't allow them to upset you, you know how the first trimester is "

Me: "(smiles) I won't "

Mom: "(kisses my cheek) Good. I'll check on Aly"

We're all watching her as she leaves and after she disappears, these two find their voice. 

Lefa: "You involve your mother in our business now? "

Me: "But you involved your whore so I'm balancing this shit "

Hailey: "I'm not a hoe and you're a fine one to talk because you were sleeping with my husband while I cried on your shoulder "

Me: "(laughs) I wasn't even married then. I'm the one who told him to marry you "

Lefa: "You'll get custody of our daughter and -"

Me: "Nah, wait. I'm the one who'll tell you what happens. I know that Jerry left you penniless so you're trying to use my husband to maintain the lifestyle Jerry got you used to. "