12

The week was hell for Jungkook, but he made it through. When he handed in his last exam packet, an overwhelming sense of relief washed over him. Regardless of his grades, he knew he did everything he could. He had no regrets.

Now, a promising and exciting summer awaited him.

Jungkook returned to V's apartment, hoping to squeeze in a quick nap before going to Jin's house for dinner. Besides the meal, the elder also invited him and Jimin to have celebratory drinks with some of his friends afterward. Jimin accepted on behalf of the two of them, so Jungkook knew it was going to be a long night.

He kicked off his shoes and flung himself on the bed. Eyes closed, he willed himself to fall asleep, but his traitorous mind refused to comply. He was wired with the exhilaration of exams being done and the uncertainty of what the coming months would bring.

With a sigh, Jungkook decided to start getting ready for the night's festivities. He peeled off his casual clothes to exchange them for something more put together. He'd never been to Jin's parents' home so he wanted to make a good impression.

Taehyung had just arrived home, having spent the last several hours in a meeting with Namjoon, Yoongi, and Hoseok. They were planning more logistics for the mentees' training schedule, as well as future performances and interviews for V. Before he parted ways with his team, he invited them all out to drinks later tonight. He knew he could be a pain to work with, but he truly valued their company.

He also made sure to invite Jin, not so subtly hinting that Namjoon would also be in attendance. The elder accepted immediately.

As he headed towards his bedroom to get changed, he heard a soft, lilting tune from his guest bedroom. Taehyung wasn't going to investigate further, but he was caught off guard.

Jungkook was singing one of his songs.

Taehyung hadn't seen the younger since he helped him study days ago, his own schedule packed from the time he awoke to the time he went to bed. His feet moved on autopilot until he was at the door, which had been left ajar. Without thinking, Taehyung pushed it open.

"Oh, fuck," Taehyung said, bringing his hands up to cover his eyes. "I'm sorry."

Jungkook stood before the closet, wearing nothing but fitted boxers. He slid on a pair of black jeans before turning to regard V, whose fingers were opening slightly to check him out. Jungkook smirked.

"So shy for a playboy."

V's fingers splayed wider, revealing big eyes. "What?"

"Where's the smooth stud all the magazines write about?" Jungkook teased.

"Just because you're half-dressed doesn't mean I want to ravish you," V responded, slowly removing his hands from his face. Jungkook didn't miss the way V's eyes scanned over his shirtless chest.

"No?" The younger challenged. He slightly cringed at himself. Who was he to attempt to flirt with V?

V took a step into his room. "Why do you sound disappointed?"

Jungkook held his ground as the elder took another step forward, but his thoughts went fuzzy. It was difficult to concentrate with V's smoldering gaze staring him down. His heart began thumping louder in his chest and his mouth went dry. He understood why there was a line of men and women willing to throw themselves at the artist's feet.

Not that he planned on shacking up with his mentor, but he felt like he needed to know one fact for sure. "Are you bi?" He blurted out.

V paused to study him, probably thinking he was very rude to outright ask such a personal question. Jungkook was about to apologize when V started to approach again.

"No," V replied, keeping his eyes on him.

"Oh," Jungkook said lamely. "I had heard - "

"Do you believe everything you hear?" V took another step forward.

Jungkook shook his head. "No! But I'd also seen pictures in the tabloids -"

"Do you believe everything you see, even without further explanation?" Another step forward.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking," Jungkook relented. He felt embarrassed for assuming everything he read about V was true. He felt even more embarrassed that he wished this particular fact was true.

V was now one foot in front of him. "No, you weren't thinking. As we continue to work together in the future, I hope you come to realize ninety nine percent of the things you will hear about me are false."

Jungkook nodded, but still had remaining questions. "Why do you let people write about things that aren't true? Don't you want people to know the real you?"

V laughed slightly. "I'd have no time to spare if I corrected every false thing said about me. And besides, people like the mystery. They like to be kept guessing. They like trying to figure out who V is."

A small feeling in the pit of Jungkook's stomach told him that V was lying. It was only a hunch, but he didn't actually think the artist believed what he was saying.

"We should get ready to leave. My driver will take us to the dinner in twenty," V told him, starting to back away.

"Okay," Jungkook said, about to turn back to his closet when he remembered something. "By the way, Jin invited Jimin and me to get drinks with him later tonight. Did you . . . did you want to come?"

V sighed, shaking his head and muttering something under his breath before answering him. "I'll be there."

Jungkook smiled, his heart racing a little faster. He mentally kicked himself, knowing he shouldn't have those sort of feelings for his mentor. He faced his closet and tried to find an appropriate shirt.

"And Jungkook?"

The younger pulled out a white button down top before facing V. "Yeah?"

"I may not be bi, but . . . I'm gay."

V left, leaving Jungkook gaping and holding his shirt to his chest in shock.

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

V A L E N W R I T I N G

How I love Taekook tension and banter haha. It's just getting started, folks.