16. The Circus

Chapter 16:

Chapter 16:

The Circus

"Hey kid, thanks for the help truly," Rose said, sarcastically walking past Jason towards the kitchen.

"We're good now. You should head back to Gotham" Dick told the kid sincerely, putting the trackers in his hand, walking past him, following Rose. Jason looked at the two in disbelief.

"What the hell?" Jason looked at the tracker in his hand than to the two adults, his eyes darting between the two, holding on to the two beer bottles in his hand.

"I'm not Robin anymore," Dick said pulling down the sleeve to his sweater.

"You didn't have to do that" Jason muttered, looking down at the devices in disappointment.

"Yeah I did and you should too"

"Why?"

"Because we're not animals in Bruce Waynes private zoo," Dick spoke angrily.

"You don't get it, man. He did it for her." Jason pointed a finger at Rose. "Ever since the Joker beat the living snot out of her, he wanted to protect the ones he loves"

"Thanks for stopping by." Dick ignored the kid, grabbing his case, shoving it into his hands. Rose sat down at the table, the reality of his comment setting into Rose, she began to realize how selfish she had acted.

"Tell Bruce I'm gonna need the place for a couple of days. He should be okay with it"

"Dick" Rose called, rethinking their attitude. The man didn't answer her though, moving towards the elevator. She stood up, watching Jason place his case and the two beer bottles on the table.

"I'm not sure you really understand him man" Jason said shaking his head and following behind the detective.

"I think I'm the one guy in the world that does," Dick said matter of factly. Rose ignored the two arguing, she stared out at the window. Why would Jason be here, Why would Bruce send him here? Surely, not because of Dr. Adamson, there was something else. Before Dick could answer, Rose spun around to speak.

"Why are you here Jason?" The two boys looked to the girl who had an eyebrow raised at Jason as Dick looked at her confused and Jason let out a sigh.

"He wanted me to show these to Dick" Jason pulled one side of his jacket open, pulling out a brown folded envelop, handing it forward to the detective to take, Dick didn't hesitate to grab it out of the boy's hand.

...

Rose sat beside Dick on the couch, looking at the pictures laid out on the coffee table. She knew who these people were, they had worked at Haly's circus, Dick had shown her pictures of when he was younger. Rose was disgusted by the pictures, someone had used some sort of acid on them, burning their skin to the bone. She racked her brain; why would someone do this? and who else knew that Dick was Robin?