Trouble

Alex walked past bedrooms, feeling like some sort of royalty in the red and golden dress she was wearing. Maeria had dressed her in a beautiful red dress, with intricate golden roses decorating the bottom. She was wearing gold sandal heels and light makeup, making her look like a princess. If only I was going to dinner with Kaiden instead, Alex thought. 

As she pushed open the large, french double doors to the dining room, she was met with a breathtaking sight. The room had a large diamond chandelier hanging from the centre, with golden streaks coming from behind it. The room as a whole was adorned with beautiful intricate designs, fit for royalty. 

As her gaze finally landed on the person sitting at the head of the large table, she forced a smile onto her face. She took a deep breath and strode forward. 

"Hello Alexandra."

She looked up as she pulled a chair for herself. She sat down as graciously as she could and pulled herself together. You can do it Alex, Alex thought. Or just fake it till you make it.

"Hello Jay."

Jay nodded, as if in deep thought. "Yes. Tell me, Alexandra, do you recognise this number? Is it familiar to you?" 

Alex looked up, confused. "No Jay, I don't know of any number, and you should know that, seeing as you've blocked all my ways of communi-" Alex stopped as she finally read the number. 

1 5 4 5 3. 

Damn it.

1 5 4 5 3.

No.

This couldn't be happening. She and Maeria were planning to escape that night. Damn it. 

A chuckle broke her chain of thoughts. "I thought so." Jay stood up and began walking toward her. "All that, Jay, I'm lonely, Jay, I want to get to know you better. That was all crap, wasn't it? Just to get me to warm up to you. Do you really think I wasn't watching you, Alexandra? Well, I was. In fact, I knew you would find 'kill the girl' with your stupid Freyan device. That's why I put it there. I was watching from another place to see your reaction, but what do I find? A plan you were trying to make behind my back of escaping. I must say, Alexandra, I really am disappointed." By this time, Jay was uncomfortably close to her. "So, you and Maeria will be punished."

Alex finally met his eyes. They weren't the warm and kind eyes she had seen in the last few hours. Those were replaced by cold, harsh eyes. She felt guilt churning in her stomach but quickly pushed it down. She was doing the right thing. 

"GUARDS! SEIZE HER," Jay bellowed, his voice echoing. "NOW!"

A swarm of his soldiers ran in and clasped their strong arms around her forearms. They stood stock still, waiting for their master's next orders. 

Jay smiled at her, a cold warmth covering his eyes. He brought a small piece of paper out, put it in a small pocket in her dress, and then nodded to his guards. "To the dungeons, now."

***

The dungeons were five floors beneath the castle itself and were dark and dingy, a thick layer of mould and cobwebs coating every inch. The room itself that was Alex was thrown into reeked of rotten fish and something else Alex couldn't quite identify. Alex felt tears rolling down her face as she reached into her dress pocket to find the paper that Jay had given her. She unfolded it and stared at the writing. 

It read, 'Death will be your mercy.'