Chapter 5: Being Subtle - Joe

Joe

After a few minutes, I walk out into the hall and see Deidre on the phone. She smiles at me, no longer embarrassed, and seems almost pleased with herself as I pass by the desk.

Was that all a ruse? Is she playing coy with me? If she truly was embarrassed, Deidre will never agree with what Mark is going to propose.

Stepping out, I look past her and continue to Mark's office like nothing ever happened. Contemplating her actions, I try to surmise the truth, but I guess we will have to put her to the test. Is Miss Deidre a little vixen or a playful kitten? Stopping at the door, Mark sees me and waves me inside.

"Yes, I expect it completed by morning. There will be a bonus in it for you if it gets done early... goodman, see you tomorrow." Mark says as he hangs up the phone.

"Is something wrong?" I ask, and Mark smiles at me.

His phone rings again, but he just ignores it and puts out his cigarette.

"No more calls, Linda." He yells out.

Before I say a word, Deidre comes running in, and that stops him in his tracks.

"Sorry, sir, it's your wife. She said you were waiting for her call. I'm sorry that I sent it through without asking." Deidre says nervously and Mark just stares at her, saying nothing.

Immediately, I interject, "That's fine, Deidre, no problem. Mr. Roth will call her back in a moment."

She doesn't look at me, just down at the floor. Glancing over to Mark, he just nods at her and I'm shocked he is reacting to this woman. She has him spinning, just like me, and we are both wrapped around her little finger. I felt bad for Evelyn, Mark's wife, who just gave birth to his child. I'm sure she was not thrilled to hear another woman's voice instead of Linda answering our private line.

Quickly she adds, "Okay, I'll let her know. I'm very sorry, sir. Thank you, sir."

Deidre glances up as we both just nod. Then she turns and walks back out with a smirk on her face.

This girl wouldn't look at me. What is she playing? Cat and mouse?

Mark smiles at me and says nothing. After all this time, I know his thoughts and he enjoyed her saying the word, sir.

My boss watches to see Deidre is gone and then asks me to close the door. He seems just as affected by her as I am but is trying to mask his feelings. This woman is unlike any I've ever encountered, and I think Mark would agree with that statement.

Getting up, I quickly walk over and shut it as he requested.

She is an enigma; I'm confused by her and how she truly feels. Did I make her nervous and uncomfortable, or was she playing the role of a sweet, innocent assistant? When she spoke to the girls, Deidre did not seem so naïve.

"What do you have, Joe, the contract?" Mark asks, and his eyes are gleaming.

He reaches for the paper and I hand it over willingly, trying to hide the fact that I'm being hesitant. All I can think is that I've sealed my fate, and Deidre's, if she signs.

I explain, "This is just the preliminary copy of the contract. I wasn't sure how subtle you wanted to be."

Mark reads it intently. He smiles and starts nodding, so he must like the draft so far.

He states, "Okay, it's good, but you need to be understated. Use more innuendos and imply certain situations instead of coming right out with it all. I don't want her to get scared away before I get the chance to explain how we will take care of her needs. Make it look like a regular contract for becoming our assistant, but make it subtly about becoming a submissive as well. Can you do that, Joe? Can you make this work for us? I'm counting on you buddy to make this happen."