Chapter Nine

As always, thank you for reading. Vote and
comment if you enjoy my work. I'd love nothing more than to hear from those who are reading!

*This story may contain mature content at any point - reader discretion advised*

____________________________________

   When I finally reached the parlor, Remus was laying on a chaise, reading a newspaper. He looked so normal, as if he had just gotten home from a long 9-5 office job, and was just relaxing while he caught up on the day's events. Vampires really weren't that different from humans, in some ways, at least.

   "He's awake." I exclaimed. Remus looked up from his reading material and nodded.

   "Great. I'll be up in a few minutes." He sat up and folded the newspaper.

   "I slipped out of the parlor and decided to go for a walk outside. In the back of the mansion were lush gardens, reminiscent of an overgrown Versailles. I could hardly imagine how vast the wealth was between the lot of vampires who lived in the grounds.

   I had only had a few potted plants in my tiny apartment- I felt guilty knowing they had probably died in the last two weeks

   I had only had a few potted plants in my tiny apartment- I felt guilty knowing they had probably died in the last two weeks. I couldn't remember being home at all- of course, I couldn't remember anything- so I figured they had been neglected. The beautiful flowers I grew were a point of pride. My roses were always full and bright, my peonies bloomed exquisitely. My lavender was fragrant and tall. I always felt amazing when I would finally cut them at their peak and give a few of them to neighbors. There was an old woman who lived down the hall from me- Mrs. Parish. She was the sweetest woman I had ever known, and she was probably the closest thing to a grandma I'd ever had. She loved my flowers, and often made me cookies to thank me for the bouquets I brought her year-round.

   I spotted a watering can and pruning shears laying on the ground next to a wheelbarrow. No one was around that I could tell, so I picked up the gear and found some plants to tend to. I pruned some shrubs, trimmed a couple hydrangea stems for Apollo's room, and did some weeding in a flowerbed. Once I'd done that, I noticed the sun was rising, and I figured I should go back inside and check on everyone.

   I gathered the flowers and set them gently on top of the pile of weeds and trimming I'd stacked in the wheelbarrow.

   "You've saved me some work, I see."

I turned to see Hermes walking towards me, a smirk on his face. His hands were in his pockets and in the sunlight, I saw that he looked like he hadn't slept in some time.

"You?" I asked. "You are the one who maintains all this?" I looked around me, fascinated.

He nodded. "Yeah, it's pretty much the only hobby I have outside of work." He gently picked up the hydrangeas from their spot and handed them to me. "You picked some beautiful ones. I was afraid they wouldn't bloom so nicely this year. They certainly took their time."

    I looked at them, nodding in agreement

I looked at them, nodding in agreement. "The best things sometimes take the longest, don't they?" I looked back up at Hermes. He stared back at me with blazing intensity. I had to swallow down the surprise and adrenaline that shot into my veins.

  "That they do." He said. "You can take the flowers inside; Apollo has been asking for you."

"Um, thanks." I said, looking down to avoid making eye contact again. "See you around."

Hermes said nothing as I walked away. I heard him lift the wheelbarrow and roll it away, but I didn't look back. I wasn't sure I could take another moment like we'd just had. What the fuck was that all about?

You okay?

I smiled. Even injured, he was always trying to protect me. Yes, Apollo. Just another odd interaction with someone. I'll be right there.

I walked through the door a few moments later and put the hydrangeas in an empty vase on the side table. My empty drinking glasses were gone, replaced with the leather tome I had been reading earlier.

Apollo was not in bed.

"Apollo?" I called out, worried.

Hands encircled me from behind. Panic and fear struck my very soul. I was not about to be taken again, right here in my own home. I swung wildly, making contact with something firm.

"Agh!"

I spun around to see Apollo cradling his mouth with his hands. Oh god... I'd elbowed him right in the face.

"Apollo! I'm so sorry..." I pleaded, rushing forward to help him. "I didn't mean to hurt you- that's what that witch did to me when I was kidnapped. I thought someone else was coming for me... I'm so sorry!" I pulled his hand away from his mouth, revealing a split lip. "Oh no... hold on, I'll get a towel-"

Apollo smiled, his fangs catching the light. He grabbed my wrist and held me in place with a gentle grip.

"Bridg, please, stop." He said, chuckling. "It's okay. Watch." He opened his mouth slightly and licked his lips. A moment later, the small split in his lip disappeared, repairing itself right before my eyes. "Super spit can heal minor wounds, remember?"

I breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm sorry-"

"Shh." Apollo put a finger over my mouth. "No harm, no foul. I'm feeling better, clearly," he motioned to himself standing upright, "so I'd like to have a talk with you."

My heart nearly came out of my mouth. I was terrified of conversations that began with "we need to talk" because they never ended well. I nodded slowly, fear rising in me. Is he going to kick me out? I'd nearly gotten him killed, so I guess I wouldn't blame him. But the timing was terrible- I'm finally starting to like people here and of course, now I had feelings for him-

"You have feelings for me?" he asked, pure shock on his face.

Oh, shit.