Chapter Twelve

As always, thank you for reading. Vote and comment if you enjoy my work. I'd love nothing more than to hear from those who are reading!

*This story may contain mature content at any point - reader discretion advised*

_________________________________

My heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Horror and pain and anger washed over me all at once. Silent tears slid down my cheeks as I watched.

After a moment, he pulled away. "Aph," he groaned. "This isn't a good time."

"Don't be silly." She chuckled. "I know I've been gone for some time, but I'm back now. I'm going to get settled in my room. Walk me there?"

I leaned back against the column, my life in shambles. I heard their footsteps echoing as they walked down the steps and across the house. Once all was quiet again, I slid down to the floor, sobbing.

Apollo was engaged. He had spent the last month loving me in a way I'd never dreamed was possible. He had given me his heart, and I'd foolishly played along. I had done exactly what I'd feared this whole time- I had put my faith and trust and love into someone who turned around and stomped on my heart.

After a minute or two, I stood up and ran back to my room. I threw the closet door open and grabbed a suitcase from the overhead shelves. I grabbed what clothes I could, tossing them in. Once it was full, I zipped it shut. I was still crying. I fell over the top of the bag, sobbing. My body burned to release of all my pain and anger.

I had to go; I had to get out of here. My heart was crushed, but I was not going to sit around and be hurt any longer by that liar.

I wiped my eyes, willing myself to stop crying. Once I was under control, I grabbed the suitcase and marched out into the hall. I was down the stairs and out the door before anyone noticed.

"Bridget, where are you going?" Hermes was in the doorway, looking confused.

"I don't know..." I held in my tears. "Away from here."

"Why?" he questioned, following me down the driveway.

"Because Apollo failed to mention that he was fucking engaged, that's why!" I growled, the anger finally flowing through me.

"Engaged? What- ?" he turned, noticing a green convertible parked in the driveway. "Oh, holy shit." His face went pale. "Aphrodite is here?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course her fucking name is Aphrodite." My words came out like acid. "Probably has a candy-flavored va-"

"Bridget!" Hermes shouted, silencing me. He never got upset, but he looked startled. "Bridget, you need to come with me... now." He barked. His gaze locked on something over my shoulder. I turned to see a black limo coming through the second security gate toward us.

"Who is that?" I wondered out loud.

"Those are the King and Queen... and Apollo's parents." He whispered, swallowing hard. "We need to get out of here right now, before they see you."

"King and Queen?" I gaped. "What?"

"C'mon," Hermes grabbed my elbow and pulled me away with vampire speed. We ended up in the garden behind the mansion.

"Hermes, you had better start explaining. NOW." I demanded, setting down my suitcase.

He sat down on a marble bench. We were on the far end of the garden, nearly a quarter of a mile from the house. We were fairly hidden behind all the boxwood topiaries and large trees. I sat next to him, waiting for him to say something.

"Apollo

"Apollo... he's the Prince of Vampires." Hermes finally muttered. "He's next in line for the throne."

"Oh." I said. That was all I could manage to say. I was utterly shocked.

"Clearly, there are certain expectations that a prince must uphold." He continued. "Apollo was betrothed to Aphrodite from the day he was born. Her family is one of the largest and most powerful nobles, apart from the royal family, of course. He wasn't in love with her, but he knew it was his duty. Sometime around 1989, they finally convinced him to go through with it. But... he couldn't. He shirked his duty, and that's why his parents haven't spoken to him in decades."

I sat there, dumbfounded. "So, he doesn't love her?"

"No." Hermes shook his head. "He hasn't seen or heard from her in nearly thirty years. That's why I was so shocked to see she'd shown up."

"Oh." I said again. "Well, he didn't exactly pull away when she kissed him."

"He was probably caught off guard. I promise you, he doesn't love her." Hermes shook his head.  

"And that limo we saw?" I asked.

"Those are his parents." He sighed. "All hell is about to break loose."

I sighed, lacing my fingers in my lap. "Maybe I should leave, then."

"If Apollo's parents are here, it's possible they already know you're here. Someone probably tipped them off about the night you two were together in the club. You see, there's something else I haven't told you... something that might make you upset."

I glared at him. "Well, then... do tell."

"There's a reason Apollo never went through with his betrothal to Aphrodite. It was because he... fell in love with someone else." he whispered.

"Are you kidding me? Another girl?" My fists clenched in anger. Clearly, Apollo just gave his heart away to anyone he felt like...

"Not just any girl." Hermes clarified. "A girl who... looked exactly like you." He finally whispered, rising from the bench. He knelt in front of me.

"What?" I blurted. "That's absurd."

"No... it's the truth. He fell in love with this vampire... she was beautiful, sweet, and nearly your exact twin. She was his destiny, he felt, and they both fell in love. But... fate intervenes, sometimes. She was discovered by some humans, and they... well, she was killed. He was completely heartbroken. That's another reason why he didn't go through with the wedding. He was absolutely crushed over the death of his love. He barely left his room for years. When he saw you, it was like a second chance for him. He thought maybe you were her, but... clearly, you're not. You may look like her, but you certainly don't act like she did."

"And how exactly is that?" I snapped, feeling defensive.

Hermes stood. "She was this very 'damsel-in-distress' type... she was very dramatic, wanted Apollo to be her knight in shining armor. You... you take care of yourself, and I respect the hell out of you for that." He smiled. "Seeing you... his parents will freak out. That girl, well... she was their family's ruin. And your being her doppelganger is just going to put Apollo in a bad place with them. But he loves you and I know he will fight like hell to stay with you. So, you need to decide... are you going to stand up for yourself, next to the man you love? Or would you rather leave here and avoid the forces who will try to tear you apart?"

Shouting erupted from inside the house. Hermes and I turned to look. I guess it was time to decide.