Chapter Twenty-One

I shook my head, crossing my arms.

"You've got this all wrong." I said. "They haven't kidnapped me, they've freed me."

Hermes looked shocked. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"Yes, please enlighten us." I heard a familiar voice snap. The Queen and King were only feet away now, looking angrier than ever. I knew that she wouldn't hesitate to rip me apart if she were given the chance. Apollo appeared behind them, gently moving them apart so he could walk toward me.

"What is going on?" he whispered, looking very fragile.

"Your Highness, please move away from the witches." Hermes commanded. "You, too, Your Majesties."

No one moved. This fight was personal, and no one was going to give up the chance to tear each other apart.

Mara stepped forward, taking her place beside me. Hermes tightened the grip on his gun, tension straining his body.

"Wait... Amaranth?" Apollo questioned. "You're-?"

"I'm Mara." She finished, nodding. "And we came to talk to you."

"Oh, yes, you look ready to talk alright!" Aphrodite glared at the weapons we held.

"We're prepared to protect and defend ourselves, should the need arise." Mara continued, barely glancing at Aphrodite. She looked to the King and Queen. "Nice to see you again."

The Queen's eyes narrowed. "You! You're..."

"Glad you remember me after all these years." She said, voice full of confidence. "You see, Your Highness," she looked at Apollo. "Your mother has known me even longer than you have. I was the apprentice to the witch she used to call when she needed people... taken care of."

"What the hell are you talking about? Can someone give me a clear answer of what is going on here?" Apollo shouted.

"I brought proof." I said. "You didn't believe me when I told you your mother is behind all those deaths and disappearances, so I brought the person who did it. I hoped maybe hearing it straight from her would help persuade you."

"How absurd!" The Queen laughed.

Apollo looked at his mother, anger brewing. He turned back to Mara. "You make grave accusations, Amaranth. Ones that could end the peace between our two peoples. I need more than words to prove anything." He said through gritted teeth.

"Oh, I brought more than words." She smirked. "I brought Abigail."

I heard gasps echo from all around, including the vampires in front of us. The Queen looked panicked, while Apollo and Hermes stared at her as if she had two heads. Apollo's gaze drifted to my face. He took a long, ragged breath, tears forming in his eyes.

"... Abigail?" he whispered.

I nodded, unsure what else I could say. His shoulders sagged as he took it in, starting to hyperventilate. Hermes lowered his gun, staring at me with disbelief. He moved over to help Apollo stay on his feet.

"You don't just look like her... you are her?" Hermes asked. When I nodded, he looked off into the distance pensively. A small smile crept across his face.

"This is ridiculous!" the Queen spat. "Abigail Forrester was killed by humans decades ago. This girl is an imposter, sent to infiltrate us and undermine our kingdom!"

Mara glared at her. "Just admit it." She growled. "Admit that you asked my coven leader to get rid of Abigail, like the King before her."

"You bitch." The Queen literally growled like a cat. Her lips curled into a snarl; her fangs extended. She leapt forward, toward Mara. My instincts took over, and I moved faster than I'd ever moved in my life. I caught the Queen by the shoulders, and we began to grapple. We moved at the speed of light, her fury and mine colliding.