Chapter Twenty

I was grateful that Mara didn't ask me about what happened in the apartment. She drove very quietly, taking a much longer way home. She took a ton of weird turns, probably to confuse anyone who could have tailed us. She was always putting her coven before herself, and I was beyond proud.

                I wondered how much I knew about Mara before she wiped my memories. Did I know she was a witch? How had I met Apollo through her? I shook my head. No, Abigail Forrester is a stranger to me. I don't even want to think about this right now...

                Eventually we pulled back into the driveway of the coven house, which was far busier than it had been an hour or so ago when we'd left. People were dressed for battle, some practicing their skills while others prayed over candles and smoking incense.

                "Do you want to try to sleep before we need to leave?" Mara asked as we stepped inside.

                "Nah." I sighed. "I'm just gonna do some thinking in my room. I'll see you in a couple hours."

                She pulled me into a tight hug. "I love you, Bridget. No matter what happens, you are worth every moment I spent protecting you."

                I squeezed her hard, smiling. "I love you, Mara. You are my favorite person in the whole world. Thank you for everything you've done."

                Mara left to help some of her coven members, and I went back up to my room. I found some paper and a pen, and decided to start writing. If I ran into the fray and I was never able to tell Apollo who I really was, I wasn't sure if anyone else would. I told him that no matter what, he was my first and only love, and the truth of my identity. Finally, I asked him to look into his mother and what she'd done.

Please, just investigate this. As my last and final wish, I hope you find answers, and I hope you find peace. I know our love feels like the end-all-be-all, but don't keep your heart locked away forever. You will soon be the King of the Vampires, but your duty should also be to yourself and your heart.

Forgive me for what I am about to do. My heart guides me, and right now it says that I must stand up to protect those who cannot stand up for themselves.

I'll love you forever.

-Bridget

I folded it up and stuck it in my pocket. Hopefully the right person would find this if I died. I headed downstairs to discuss our battle strategy.

_______________________

The witches loaded into vans, which had mysteriously appeared ten minutes before we were going to leave. They were all wearing battle gear, but I was wearing a navy blue lace and tulle gown. I climbed into Mara's car by myself, feeling the pressure set in.

 I climbed into Mara's car by myself, feeling the pressure set in