Chapter 11

About an hour past and Momiji was still awake. But he did feel tired, trying to actually stay wide awake. Ungaikyō hadn't moved at all during that time so he assumed he was fast asleep by now. He even quietly sat up to look over and check, his eyes were shut and seemed to be sleeping.

Carefully and quietly he got up from the bed and began his search for his things. The house wasn't very big and there wasn't many places for Ungaikyō to hide his uniform and sword. Yet every place that seemed like an ideal place they'd be hidden, they weren't there.

Closet, cabinets, etc. Nothing. There was no underneath of the bed so no point checking there. Under furniture, still nothing. It didn't look like there was any places in the flooring he could just move and stash there. So where?

"Looking for something?"

Momiji froze in place. Ungaikyō had woke up and caught him trying to find his belongings. 

"..You won't find your things hidden in my house.." he said, before holding up his mirror and tapping it. "I put them..somewhere else.."

His mirror, why didn't he remember that. 

He walked over to Momiji and simply stared at him. He didn't seem mad or anything, just his usual blank expression. For whatever reason though, he placed his hand on Momiji's cheek. Which earned a glare from the shorter boy.

"I said this was only one night. So just wait until morning. I'm tired..."

With a sigh, the two decided to just bear with each others for the night instead of planning of escape and have to be hunted down. Not that Momiji wanted to escape in just his night robe. 

But being by Ungaikyō's side felt nostalgic. He wondered why.

Once they settled down again in bed, Ungaikyō wrapped his arms around him to make sure Momiji didn't try anything else. Though honestly, all he wanted was for him to go away. He was still scared of him, but they were going to have to fight one day.

This time they can fight fair and square.

. . .

"Ungaikyō wake up" Momiji said, shaking him. "It's morning..." 

It had been a while since he woke up without the Shikigami poking him until he did. Though it was weird since he was getting used to that.

"Yeah yeah..I'm up.." Ungaikyō said sitting up, sighing and grabbing his mirror. Reaching into the mirror he pulled out Momiji's uniform and sword.  

After giving his belongings back, he got up and left the room so Momiji could get dressed. It only took a few minutes until he walked out, fully dressed and sword by his side again.

"Ungaikyō, I still want to talk to you. But I won't force you to next time. Just don't abduct me again or you'll be facing not just me.."

'He really is scary' Ungaikyō remained silent but nodded slightly. 'It'd be better if he remembered on his own though. I don't want to tell him'

It wasn't because he didn't want him to remember to protect him. He just didn't think it was his place to tell him. After all he was the one who brought him to the Katanashu so he'd forget. But unfortunately Momiji came back. Now he was bound to remember with all the nostalgia.

On the bright side, then they could fight as true enemies.

"Hurry up and go already" he said, sitting down and looking into his mirror.

As much as he wanted to leave, he didn't know where in the forest they were and didn't want to get lost. So he had no choice but to try asking Ungaikyō to lead him back to at least the big maple tree. The problem was, how was he going to convince him to do so.

"..Why are you still here"

"I don't know my way back from your house. So..can you...lead me back"

All he got in response was an annoyed sigh as Ungaikyō stood up and began walking out of the house. Waving his hand to follow him. They didn't talk to each others, both just wanted to be away from the other at this point.

'Why can't he just talk to me'

'Why did he have to come back...'

That was all they thought as they walked. 

After a couple minutes they reached the big maple tree. Momiji watched as Ungaikyō climbed up the tree and sat on a branch, trying to ignore him. Maybe if he tried being friendly towards him then he'd open up.

But somehow he doubted that it'd work. Ungaikyō didn't seem like the kind of person to willingly befriend him. Especially since he was a Katanashu. Why did yokai have to be so confusing. 

"Before I go, thank you for guiding me back. And not harming me, aside from knocking me unconscious" 

No response, as usual. Was he really ignoring him?

Momiji shrugged and began making his way back to the station. Hopefully no one really did notice that he wasn't there the previous night. Or he would have a lot of explaining to do and write a report about the incident. 

. . .

"Kyuubi-no-kitsune! Good morning!" 

"Go back to bed Onibi" Kyuubi said in response, turning to face the opposite direction.

"Ehh? Come on its time to get up"

The kitsune chuckled, "When did our roles switch? I use to have to try and wake you every morning when you were younger"

"Well I was a kid, I liked sleeping in! But you don't have an excuse like being tired!"

Onibi was right since he didn't even work at his own shop, instead letting yokais make their own food. So he couldn't say it was because he was tired from so much work. Instead he turned again and pull Onibi down onto the bed.

"Then you can sleep some more with me"

"W-What- No, you have to open the stand"

"I decide when I open my ramen stand. Sleep. Now"

At that point Onibi gave up trying to get his caretaker to get up that morning. Besides, Kyuubi was letting him sleep by his side, he wasn't passing up that chance. Not that he couldn't of simply asked if they could sleep together like when he was younger. Kyuubi would let him.

'Now if I could just stop blushing..Thankfully Kyuubi's eyes are shut..'

"Sleep well..Kyuu.."