Chapter 8

Hi. Here’s chapter 8. I hope you enjoy it!

________________________________________________________________________

                It’s Wednesday night, and I’m lying sideways across Ali’s bed. We’re having a serious conversation, that’s making me even more confused. I rolled over and tried to make sense of what she was saying.

“So, you’re telling me I should date them both?” I asked, totally lost.

“No, that’s not what I’m saying! I’m trying to say that you should slow things down with Zack. Yes, the two of you are in a relationship now, but you’ve only been together a month, not counting the two months when you were working up to the relationship. I think you should hang out with Zack of course, but take some time to get to know Derrick better too, until you find out who you like better. You aren’t cheating on Zack if you and Derrick just hang out. And then if you find out that you like Derrick more, you have your answer.” She said.

            “First of all, since when are you so okay with me and your brother?” I asked her.

           “Well, the way I see it, I’d rather him be with you than some whore.”

             I rolled my eyes at her comment and continued. “I don’t know Ali. That just seems… wrong. I mean, what if I do end up choosing Derrick? I don’t want to hurt Zack.” I said, casting my eyes downward.

            “Oh, you mean like he hurt you?” She asked, apparently forgetting her sensitivity filter. My head snapped up and I looked at her with wide eyes, my mouth flopping open like a fish.

            “Ali…” I said, still stunned she had said that. “He’s different.”

             “Oh, no. I’m so sorry Ericka. I shouldn’t have said that. It was totally out of line and uncalled for.” She quickly said.

            “It’s okay. I know what you mean, but he really is different.” I said, trying to put a smile on my face. “I’ll think about it, okay? I actually have to get home and study, so I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            “Bye!” She called to me as I exited her room. I quickly scanned the hallway to make sure Derrick wasn’t standing around. I came over at first when he was sleeping, so he doesn’t even know I’m here.

I really don’t want to run into him right now. I’m too confused, and I’m afraid seeing him will immediately make my mind up for me. I needed to get home and think about what I was going to do, without running into Derrick on the way out of the Ames’ house. I made my way down the hallway, trying to walk as fast as I could without making too much noise.

            When I reached the top of the stairs, I heard a door open from in front of me. I dodged behind the large plant-like fixture next to the stairs. I looked out from behind the plant quick enough to find out that it definitely was him.

Derrick walked out of the door with nothing but a towel on, using another to dry his hair as steam escaped the bathroom. He walked right towards me, and I uncontrollably gaped at him.

His bare chest, still dripping with water, was probably the most attractive thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

            My heartbeat sped up to about three times what it was supposed to be, and I felt my breath catch. I literally couldn’t breathe. His still damp hair was so adorably matted to his face as he continued to head in my direction.

I held my breath, praying he wouldn’t see me. At the last minute, he turned into his bedroom, leaving me in a compete wreck. I sighed in relief when I realized he hadn’t noticed me, and I made my way back down the stairs before he could come back out.