Chapter 6

Hi. I have nothing to say. I like turtles.

"Are you sure you're up for this? I mean, you could always fake sick. You don't have to go see him, you know." Ali said to me in a rush.

"Alicen, of course I'm up for it. I'm just nervous about what's going to happen." I said, applying the finishing touches to my makeup.

"Well, make sure you call if you need me." She said.

"Alice!” Derrick called from the hallway. “Want to watch a movie?" He appeared in the doorway and made eye contact with me.

"Oh. You're here. Never mind." He said, turning around and heading back down the hallway towards his room.

It's been a week since the whole incident atTyler's house. We've even started back to school with Derrick, and he is still refusing to talk to me. He completely ignores me in the hallways, and even in the classes we have together.

It doesn't help that we're lab partners. Totally didn't see that one coming. Total cliché here. Having to be lab partners with somebody who won't communicate with you is wonderful.

If he does, it's little forced words. I don't even understand what I did to him. I mean, I guess I'd rather him not talk at all than be rude. When he's mean, he's pretty vicious.

Well, now I'm going to meet Zack. And Derrick can deal with his own problems.

"Why is he being so rude to you lately?" Ali asked me.

"I have absolutely no idea. I guess I pissed him off." I said, rolling my eyes. "I’m going now. I'll call you later." I gathered my things and headed out of the door.

I got down the stairs and had my hand on the door handle when I heard Derrick in the kitchen.

"Ericka." He said, using a tone that made me stop in my tracks. I bit my lip and raised my eyes to meet his as he walked over to me.

"You're going to meet Zack?" He asked, staring at me intently.

"Oh, he speaks." I said sarcastically, trying to ignore the way my heart was beating at how close he was.

"Why do you care if I'm going to meet him?"

"Of course I care." He said, his eyes snapping to mine. His expression instantly changed to fury as he continued talking.

"You don't know some of the things about him that I do. If you did, you wouldn't want to be near him. Trust me."

"Derrick, just because you don't like him, doesn't mean I have to hate him too. I'm going to be late. I have to go now." I said, grabbing the door again.

He blocked my way and pushed the door closed.

"Just don't let him do anything you aren't comfortable with. And if he does, call me this time, okay?" He said, his expression softening.

"The first time you talk to me in a week and you're just telling me to stay away from Zack. Wonderful. Thanks for the warning, but I got it. I'm a big girl, remember?" I said angrily.

I pushed him out of the way and exited the house. Who the hell does he think he is? It's my life! I don't care what Zack did to him. It couldn't possibly be that bad!

I mean, they were eleven. Maybe Zack stole Derrick's crayons or something. I rolled my eyes and hopped into my car.

I made my way to the coffee shop where I was supposed to be meeting Zack. A few minutes in, I started to feel really bad. Derrick was just trying to help, and I was a total bitch.