1.20

"Someone To Watch Over Me"

The next day, Halle casually strolled into the kitchen while on the phone to Emily

The next day, Halle casually strolled into the kitchen while on the phone to Emily. She held the cellphone to her ear and carried on chatting away, even with her family in there having breakfast together. Luisa Brewster was sat at the breakfast bar with Riley, helping the girl with her homework while Riley ate her coco-pops; her father, Nick Brewster stood leaning against the kitchen counter as he ate his own cereal, the plain sort his wife bought; and Myles sat with his headphones in, oblivious to anything but the screen he was smiling at.

Halle busied herself with getting a drink. "So, they just went in and raided her bedroom?"

"That's exactly what they did," Emily said, over the phone. She had been out for an early breakfast with Spencer and came back to the police conducting a search warrant. Halle hadn't even seen the police cars until Emily rung her and she decided to look out her bedroom window.

"Did they at least have the barn on that warrant?" Halle asked. She grabbed the orange juice from the fridge and placed the carton down on the side, kicking the door closed. It made her mother grind her teeth and glare, not that Halle noticed. She was too busy enthralled in her conversation with Emily and getting a glass to notice.

"They did, but that's just because that's where Ali was last seen," Emily explained. "It's not for Ian, they're gunning for Spencer."

"Well, it's something," Halle said, trying to see the positive. She poured herself a drink, keeping the phone between her head and shoulder, and then asked, "How was she when you saw here?"

"Shaken," Emily replied. "Scared."

"I think we all would be if the police started ransacking our bedrooms, too," Halle replied dryly. After taking a sip, Halle's eyes met her mother's unimpressed ones and Halle knew she was in for it again. "...Yeah... Hey, Em, I've gotta go, I'll see you later."

"Your mom?" Emily asked knowingly.

"Yeah, it's not looking great for me on this end," Halle answered, eyes not leaving her mother's face, who was growing more agitated by the call.

"Good luck," Emily wished.

"Thanks."

"Bye."

"Yeah — Bye, Em." Halle pulled the cellphone from her ear, ending the call by flipping the screen back down to a shut. She looked to her mother expectantly. "Yeah?"

"Check the attitude," scolded Luisa briskly, giving her daughter a hard stare. "What's this talk of police?" she asked.

"Well, mother," Halle settled in close, smirking across the kitchen-island and said, "you don't have to worry about Veronica Hastings telling you where you're failing in parenting since, you know, Spencer's now a person of interest in Ali's murder."