2.24

"If These Dolls Could Talk"

Today was a particularly difficult day for Halle

Today was a particularly difficult day for Halle. After struggling to tear herself out of bed, fighting the internal battle to just stay under the warmth of her covers all day, Halle dragged herself out of the house that morning. Then, at breakfast, she was faced with questions about that damn fire.

"Have you heard anything?"

"Was it intentional?"

"What was that poor girl doing in that house?"

"Who would do such a thing?"

And finally, Halle's favourite little put-in from her mother. "Hasn't that family been through enough?" The curly-haired teenager bit back a scoff when that one was thrown out and only gave her mother shrugs as a reply.

Her dreadful morning only made Halle more grateful for Aria, who met in the courtyard with a hot cup of coffee. "You are heaven-sent, I swear," Halle rejoiced, and began to unload the excruciating events.  "I mean, the woman acts like she hasn't been bad-mouthing him — literally told me in the hospital that all his family did was bring misery and to stay away from Jason," Halle mocked, rolling her eyes, as the two approached the courtyard table. "And then the moment tragedy hits — the second public opinion changes — so does she. She's actually unbelievable!"

"No, that's completely believable coming from your mother," Aria corrected, sitting down across from each other at the table. "I'm surprised you're surprised at that."

"Well, when it comes down to do with the DiLaurentis family, my mother is anything but temperamental," Halle countered. "How she feels one day ain't how she'd feel next week."

"Do you think she'd be okay with you and Jason?" Aria asked. Curiously eyeing Halle for an answer, she raised her coffee to her lips and took a sip.

"Oh, please, my mom is still grieving from Eric," Halle shot, rolling her eyes. "Thankfully, that means she doesn't have the time to even catch onto me and Jason."

"You know, I never liked Eric," said Aria honestly. "At least, not you with him."

Halle raised her eyebrows up at the girl. "What?"

Aria shrugged and explained, "Well, I never got to see any of the good times, I was away in Iceland when that happened. And then Jason came back, and it was always like you were waiting for a big reason to break it off with Eric."

"So, you're saying A helped me out?" Halle asked, bemused.

"No, that's not—" Aria broke into a laugh, with Halle joining in, and caved, "Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying."

"Fair enough," Halle hummed, agreeing with half a shrug.

Coming over, grinning, Emily asked them, "What's got you two all smiley?"