Chapter 4 What a Rotten Trick

One week later, after school, at the lockers, Mylene reads her recent secret admirer note and blushes a little.

                   "What what is this?"  Mylene says. She reaches back inside the locker and pulls out another letter.

                   "Mylene, what is that you have there?" Jack asks. He blushes as he speaks to her.

                   "Ah, Jack you startled me," Mylene says. She felt like she jumped higher off the ground than she had in years.

                   "Oh, sorry!"  Jack says and thinks, Mylene why can not you see how important you are to me?

                   "My secret admirer wants to meet me today in the park and..." Mylene starts to say.

                    "Mylene, do not go!  Listen, please do not go!" Jack tries to reason with her. He thinks, who sent her this?

                    "Oh, and why should not I go Jack?" Mylene asks angrily.

                    "Mylene it is not what you think. Just do not go," Jack says. He thinks, she is pretty when she is angry.

                     Jack touches her shoulder, stares into her eyes, and thinks, I want to kiss her.

                    "Sorry, Jack!  I am going and you can not stop me!" Mylene yells at him. She brushes his hand off her shoulder and runs outside.

                    Jack watches Mylene go and thinks, wow she is sure is stubborn. He sighs. He goes home not sure what to do now.

                        Mylene goes to the girls dorm and wonders why is Jack so upset with me?  She thinks, ugh!  Boys are so complicated. She does her homework, and checks her watch after a while.

                   She sees it is ten until 4 pm and leaves to go to the park.  Mylene sits down on a bench.  She sighs at 4 o'clock when the secret admirer does not show up.

                      She hears a noise and looks up to see Chole and thinks, what is she doing here?

                       "Hi, Mylene!  I see you got my litte joke!" Chloe laughs at her.

                       "Chole, what are you talking about anyway?"  Mylene asks.

                      " Is it obvious?  You have been pranked by us!" Chole and Sabrina say at once.

                       "You are so gullible thinking the  boy would meet you here!" Sabrina scoffs. She laughs now too.

                       "Chole, Sabrina, enough, leave Mylene alone!" Jack yells at them.

                     "Ha, she is not your girlfriend," Chloe scoffs.

                     "Chole, is right, she is not," Sabrina brags.

                    "Just get out of here!"  Jack yells at them again.

                    "If not I will tell the police you were harrasing my best friend," Jack tells the mean girls.

                  "  Fine, we will leave you alone with this loser then!"  Chloe mocks him.  She and Sabrina twirl their hair and leave.

                      Chloe and Sabrina, think why did Jack treat us like this? To bad because he is so cute.

                    "Jack, I could have handled it on my own!"  Mylene yells at him.

                   "I do not need your help,"  Mylene blurts out.

                   "Mylene, why are you angry?" Jack asks.

                   "You were right it was a trick. Oh, Jack!  I should have listened to you," Mylene says as the tears spill down her cheeks.

                   "Mylene, I am so sorry," Jack says. He hugs her and thinks, I hate it when you are upset with me.

                   "Thanks, Jack!  I will see you tomorrow!"  Mylene says.

                   "See you tomorrow," Jack replies. He sighs and goes home.

                      Mylene runs back to the dorm in tears. She can not believe she fell for such a low trick from Chloe and Sabrina of all people.

                        She thinks if Jack had not been there then, I do not know what I would have done.