Rebound - Part 8

The school was identical to the Casper High Phantom had gotten to know from afar. Though he had briefly attended as an actual student, most of his memories were of wondering the halls, invisible and envious, and watching everyone go about their lives without him.

Now he was very visible.

"Mr. Phantom," a teacher said. "How have you fallen so far behind?"

The students giggled.

"W-well I, uh-" Phantom stood in front of the chalkboard, confused and helpless.

"He's in the wrong place!" A cheerleader said. "This kid is still in middle school."

"I graduated middle school!" Phantom said.

"Sure you did, short stack." The guy with Elvis Presley hair had his feet up on Dash's desk.

Dash was covering his face with his hands.

Thanks a lot, Dash, Phantom thought.

"Sit down," the teacher said. "You clearly have some catching up to do."

"Or you have some teaching to do," Phantom said.

The students laughed. Dash peeked out from between his fingers.

The teacher sighed. "Take a seat, Phantom."

oOo

There was no way off campus. Outside the windows there was just... a gray void. Open the front doors and... well, more void.

Phantom stood at the ledge and wondered what would happen if he jumped.

Dash pulled him away from the door and slammed it shut. "Are you crazy?!"

"I want to get out of here!"

"And you think I don't?"

A chorus of voices sang "K I S S I N G" behind them every time Dash and Phantom spoke to each other.

When Phantom had punched one of the singers, the first time, they all dog piled on top of him.

It had lasted for hours and he would have suffocated if he were alive.

Now he just glared at them.

Dash acted as if he couldn't even hear it.

"Look what if your powers-" Dash started.

"They're still gone!" Phantom punched a locker. "I'm a shitty fucking hero, okay? Look either jumping is a way out or it isn't. You don't lose anything if I go-"

"I'll lose you!" Dash said.

"Oooh," a cheerleader said. The crowd around them was growing. "Trouble in paradise?"

Dash facepalmed.

"Guess your twink doesn't want you," the greaser said. "You're so handsome too! What could be missing?"

"I'm not gay!" Phantom said. Then he glanced at Dash. "There's obviously nothing wrong with being gay, but-"

Dash still had a hand over his face. Specifically he was shielding his eyes. He added another hand over his mouth.

It was a new habit he'd developed, Phantom guessed.

"And so many women throw themselves at you," the cheerleader said. "Mister town hero. Oh Righteous Phantom. Dragon Slayer and Rock Band Destroyer!"

She draped herself over him as she spoke, with an arm over his shoulder and a hand cupping his face.

The girl was tall and the way she cradled him reminded Phantom of Kitty. He glared at her.