Rebound - Part 14

Pointdexter didn't immediately notice the damage to Dash's body.

Phantom's blast had landed square on his chest. The injury itself wasn't visible. But what was visible was the blistering skin on his fingers when Pointdexter fired off ecto-blasts of his own.

He made a show of it, playfully shooting only with his index fingers- with finger guns and gun sound effects- and didn't seem to actually feel any pain. But Dash would feel it when he got his body back.

Phantom tried to be diplomatic.

"You do realize Fenton's parents are ghost hunters?" Phantom said. "They're both on their way here right now, in fact. Is this how you want to be introduced to the in laws?"

Tucker was still in his ear on the Fenton Phones. "You gotta get out of there before they show!" Tucker said. "They're obsessed with catching you, man."

Phantom tried to project self confidence and nonchalance as Pointdexter lost his steam.

The little green forcefield around him helped. He'd finally learned how to keep the thing up.

"Don't you ever wanna play at being the leading man in the picture?" Again Pointdexter tried to break through Phantom's shield. His hands were smoking. "I could take Danny on an adventure. Like Humphrey Bogart, running from the law. Like-"

"Like burnt toast and zombie flesh if you keep that up!" Phantom stamped. "Look at your hands, cowboy, that body can't hold up to the blasts."

Pointdexter stared down at them in surprise.

"Fiddlesticks!"

He looked around the desecrated cafeteria and Phantom rolled his eyes at the glowing lunch tables, freezing them in place before they could get off the ground.

"This isn't a movie, Pointdexter," Phantom said. "But even if it was, you wouldn't be the hero."

"Phantom!" Sam's voice came through the Fenton Phones, but he had no way of knowing who was actually speaking. "Thought you were going to bring the ghost to Fenton Works?!"

When Jack and Maddie Fenton charged into the room with ghost proof nets and guns blazing, Phantom instinctively disappeared.

"Hah! We can still see you, ghost scum!" Maddie was wearing the heat vision goggles (or cold vision?) and she directed her attention at Phantom while Jack chased after Pointdexter.

"Oh he's going to Fenton Works, all right," Phantom said. "I'm just not the one who'll be taking him."

oOo

As soon as the car rolled to a stop Danny was out and running, he tripped at the stairs and continued up on all fours then slammed into his bedroom, searching for his Fenton Phones.

Later, he'd curl up in embarrassment and wonder why he hadn't just taken Tucker's from him.

But right now.

Right now he was panicking.

When the earphones were finally in his freaking ears he caught Phantom mid sentence.

"... cause I don't know... how to get... get him out, Tucker!" Phantom sounded breathless.

Can a ghost over exert himself? The idea was alarming.

"Don't touch any of the purple stuff!" Danny blurted. "Just fly away, go somewhere else!"

"Purple stuff?" Phantom said. Then, "Whoa! You're a cowboy alright, damn."