The Family Business - Part 2

The waiting room at the Holy Family Psychotherapy Training Institute was filled with toys and children's books.

Soft instrumentals drifted out of the speakers overhead and the seats were a series of small benches, encouraging people to sit tucked close to their loved ones.

Danny chose to stay standing, tapping his foot. "This is silly."

"It's not silly," Jazz said. "Therapy is an avenue for dealing with your repressed emotional trauma-"

"I don't have trauma."

"-guided by an objective but carrying third party," Jazz continued. "I should have realized sooner that I was too close to give you the help you needed."

"What kind of name is 'Holy Family Psychotherapy' anyway?" Danny muttered. "Are they religious? I thought therapy was, like, the opposite of religious."

"You mean secular." Jazz looked down at the pamphlet. "Their founder was Catholic, but-"

"And they're also a training institute?" Danny opened the only other door besides the main office and found a bathroom. "Who the heck are they training? There's only one office."

Jazz scrutinized at the plaque on the office door. "I'm sure Dr. Spectra has a host of students that she mentors. Or, I don't know. There's nothing about it on the pamphlet."

"We should do more research. Find someone else." If there was one thing his sister respected, it was research. "What if she hears about my accident and decides I'm possessed by demons?"

Jazz gave him one of those condescending smiles and he glared at her.

"I'm serious!" Danny said. "Remember those priests that came over when the portal made the news? They think mom and dad are witches."

Jazz patted the seat beside her and tried to give him puppy dog eyes. "Will you sit down with me? Please?"

He did so, reluctantly.

Like everything else he did these days.

"Therapists are not like priests." Jazz ran her fingers against the natural flow of his hair, something Phantom often did.

Danny glared at his shoes.

"And once I explain our situation, Dr. Spectra will-"

The office door opened and a red headed woman in a blazer and skirt stepped out.

"Daniel Fenton?" The woman was wearing sunglasses and she tilted them down her nose to look at them.

"Yes, m'am, that's us!" Jazz quickly stood and extended a hand towards the woman. "Thank you so much for seeing us."

Dr. Spectra graciously shook the hand she was offered. "Oh no, thank you. I understand this is often the hardest first step."

She turned her attention to Danny, smile wide and sharp. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Right. Thanks." Danny didn't offer to shake her hand.

The office itself didn't look like an office. It was more of a sitting room, with a variety of chairs and couches arranged in a circle.

The walls were lined with diplomas and motivation quotes and the shelves were weighed down by thick volumes and journals.

"Before you start, I just wanted to inform you of Danny's situation." Jazz took a seat on one of the couches and Danny frowned.

He could speak for himself couldn't he?

"Ah, the amnesia?" Dr. Spectra sat on a plush armchair, leaving Danny to pick between a plain wooden chair and the couch with Jazz. "Your mother mentioned it on the phone."