Rebound - Part 10

The silence was eerie. The gray hallways echoed Phantom's footsteps as he walked. A lightbulb flickered out overhead.

It was his first time alone since he'd entered the mirror.

"Dash?"

A bathroom door slammed open to his left and Phantom flinched.

Dash leaned back against the door, smirking.

"Feel better after taking a dump?" Phantom said.

Dash scowled. "I wasn't- we can't even do that here!"

"If there's a will," Phantom said.

"Shut up." Dash pointed an accusing finger at him. "I've figured it out!

Phantom frowned at him.

Dash huffed impatiently. "Ask me what I figured out, man."

Phantom rubbed at his eyes. "That's okay," he said. "I think I'd rather get pelted with peas than-"

"You look like Fenton," Dash said. "You're practically his twin. I'd never gotten a close look at you before, but now it's obvious."

Phantom swallowed.

"It all makes sense now," Dash continued. "Your shitty personality, the jumpsuit- just like his parents!"

"Yeah, but-"

Squaring his shoulders, Dash proudly announced. "You're his grandpa!"

Phantom blinked. "Wha?"

"Don't even try to deny it!" Dash jabbed him in the chest. "You're a Fenton! Admit it."

Phantom took a deep breath. "Dash."

The idiot had a smug look on his face, arms crossed in front of him.

"Let's think about this for a second," Phantom said. "How old do I look to you?"

Dash frowned. "Uh... twelve?"

"Ouch. Okay close..." Phantom put his hands together. "So if I died at... twelve... how could I be anyone's grandpa?"

Dash opened his mouth.

He closed it.

Phantom giggled.

Dash glared at him. "Then you're his grandpa's brother!"

"You mean... his grand uncle?"

Dash snapped his fingers. "Yes," he exclaimed. "And it explains why Fenton supposedly has this- this connection with you."

"Uh huh," Phantom said. "That make you feel better?"

"Huh?"

"Let's say you're right," Phantom said.

"So you admit it!"

"Sure." Phantom glanced around the deserted hallway and shivered. He had a feeling the quiet wouldn't last long. "Sure, what does it change?"

Dash sputtered. "It changes everything! Y-you... you're just, what, you got killed by your freaky family? Some weirdo science experiment gone wrong?"

Phantom flinched.

"And," Dash's leaned down, eyes wide. "And you help them fight ghosts? And Fenton-"

"What about Fenton?" Phantom growled.

"I'm just saying-"

"You don't get to say anything about him," Phantom said. "You torment him for years-"