Ever the Hero

Splash.

The sound of the Feared Captain Humdrum falling into the water cuts through Baz's mind like a knife. Simon's words have been racing around his head at an unprecedented speed.

No one in their right mind would love us. 

That one in particular is haunting Baz an awful lot. He opens his mouth to say something but Simon's eyes roll back into his head and he begins to fall off the mast, seemingly spent from the day's activities. Penny flies up and sprinkles some fairy dust on him to keep him upright since she can't support him on her own. If Baz still had dust, he would have gone up to join them and help, but he can't. Instead, he is sequestered to this crow's nest and has to watch as Penny manages to steady Simon in the air. 

"Basil!" she snaps, gesturing to Simon like Baz should be up there helping them. 

"I'm out of dust," he snaps. 

Penny throws a ball of dust over towards Baz and it lands in his face. The tingle of it on his nose makes him sneeze, but then he thinks of Simon and he's flying through the air to help support Simon's dead weight. He scoops Simon up in his arms, the way Simon has to save him twice now from near death experiences, and flies him to the ground. He lays him down on the floor of the ship and tries to assess the damage. He's still covered in soot but Baz can tell that he's too pale and drained. He figures that he must have a slew of injuries from both the explosion and the sword fight, so he assumes that at least part of this is blood loss. He rips through Simon's tunic and finds one big gash on the side of Simon's abdomen, a small slice on his neck, and another large puncture wound in Simon's chest. There are burns and other, smaller cuts and bruises on his chest and arms, and Baz knows that he has to have a pretty decent amount on his back, too. 

The sight of it is almost too much for him. He loves this man with everything in him so it hurts to see him in such a sorry state. It also hurts because Baz knows that a lot of this is his fault––for coming, for fighting with him, for getting kidnapped. All of it. And if Simon lives, he isn't sure that he'll choose to be with Baz after all of this. 

"Is he..." he doesn't want to finish the sentence. 

Penny puts her hands carefully on Simon's wrist and sighs. "He's alive. Barely. Before...before we got here, I thought he was done for. And now..."

Baz sucks in a painful breath and carefully runs his fingers through Simon's oh so soft curls. They're not as soft right now, but that's nothing that a good shower won't fix. With his other hand, he carefully picks up one of Simon's and locks their fingers together like his touch will make him wake up. He holds their bound hands over his own heart so Simon can feel that Baz's heart beats for him. Only for him. 

Suddenly, Baz is staring at blue. It's duller than normal, but it's still Simon's beautiful, glorious blue. Simon smiles up at him. 

"How's that for an adventure?"

With a strangled sob, Baz pulls Simon up and into his arms. Simon's hands are around his shoulders, holding Baz against his battered body. Baz realizes Simon's injuries are probably painful enough without being pressed up against his own chest, so he moves Simon away from him. Simon smiles at him, a soft smile, and moves his hands up to cup Baz's cheeks. His thumb gently wipes at Baz's face and Baz realizes that he's crying profusely because he's just so fucking happy that Simon is okay. 

"You're a fucking tragedy, Simon," Baz breathes. It's shaky and there's no bite to it. He never wants to have a bite in his voice again when it comes to Simon. He knows what it's like to lose him––twice now, actually––and he plans on spending the rest of his time making Simon see just how wrong he was when he said that no one would love him.