Easter (Library Pt. 2)

A/N: An hour late because I'm trash. This is its own stand-alone chapter, but I also consider it a Pt. 2 to Library. :) Enjoy! (P.S. 3k reads, omg!!! Thank you all so much for the support! Loves ya <3)

"Are you an Easter basket? Because I wanna hold your eggs."

Mitch loved children. Sure, crying children in public places could be enough to drive him to murder, but he always thought he'd make a good dad. But when you're gay and you want kids, it gets complicated. With straight couples, it's easy: the baby comes out after nine months. But in Mitch's case, the adoption process could take way more than nine months, maybe even years. Then there's deciding what the baby's gonna look like. At least with a straight couple, you don't have to choose. What if Mitch's future husband wants brown eyes, and Mitch wants blue? And what if Mitch's husband doesn't want to adopt? What if they decide to pay for a surrogate mother? What if Mitch never even finds a husband?? Just thinking about it made his head hurt.

Not to mention the fact that for some reason, kids were inexplicably repulsed by him.

Well, usually, at least. Today, they were flocking around him in throngs, approaching him without fear. Mostly because he was passing out the prizes from the Easter egg hunt he was volunteering at, but still, it was progress. Kevin had recruited him to just help set up the event for a couple hours, but here he was almost three hours later, and Mitch found himself still there at Gene Allen Park, watching all the kids run around with tiny baskets in their hands. They dashed around the park, occasionally pausing to pick up an egg hidden in the grass or nestled in a bush, while adoring parents looked on dotingly. Mitch did the same thing, even though he wasn't technically a parent. Yet. No shame. He soaked it up; it was rare that Mitch wasn't spending all his waking hours on any given day working at the circulation desk.

Maybe it was his beard. Lately he'd been considering shaving it, but he'd always resisted because he felt that it added to his "bad bitch" persona. But he'd be willing to look just a tad less fabulous if it meant that kids wouldn't see him as a manic, knife-brandishing Elmo anymore.

The only little kid that ever seemed to like him was Scott's niece, Lauren. She always ran straight up to his desk every time Scott took her to the library, which was basically every day Mitch was working. She was absolutely adorable, with sunny blonde hair, striking blue eyes, and a dazzling little smile. She looked almost exactly like Scott.

Scott.

Ever since they went out for coffee a couple months ago, Mitch literally couldn't stop thinking about him. Scott's gorgeous face and his cute dimples and his amazing laugh made his heart beat so fast whenever they were together that he felt like it would burst out of his chest. They texted all the time now, and Mitch loved his sense of humor. They even called each other every night after Scott had dropped Lauren off at his sister's house and Mitch got off work. Mitch could listen to him talk all day, the way his words flowed over each other. He could sing, too, and Mitch was thoroughly convinced that Scott was perfect in every way, shape, and form.

Mitch was spacing out staring at the egg-hunt in progress when, speak of the devil, he felt small arms wrap around his right leg. "Mr. Grassi, Mr. Grassi!"

When he looked down, sure enough, there was Lauren clinging onto his leg, wearing the cutest watermelon-print dress and matching hairbow. "Hey, kiddo! What's up?"

"Uncle Scott over there!" she replied almost automatically, as if she didn't need to wait for Mitch to ask where Scott was as she pointed to the information table, where Scott was standing talking to a volunteer. "He wanna see you."

Mitch's heart kick-started when she said that. "Oh, really? Does he know I'm here?"

"Nuh-uh. But he wanna see you. He didn't say but I know he does. Egg basket, please?" she asked, holding out her hands.