Stupid

Hi! Hope everyone had a merry Christmas/happy holiday! This one's short, but I hope you enjoy nonetheless :)

"Are you stupid? Because you look stupid. Like, you wouldn't know a lot of things."

 “...so then you use the change-of-base formula and set that equal to the other side to find the log of x,” Scott explained, gesturing with his pencil at the work in Mitch’s notebook.

Instead of finishing the problem like Scott explained it, Mitch just put his head in his hands and his elbows on the table, his frustrated groan reverberating in the empty classroom. “I don’t get it. My test is next period and I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.”

“Hey, hey, hey,” Scott replied, turning Mitch’s notebook around and picking up his pencil, “don’t say that. It’s just all about applying it. See, watch me do it.” He erased some of Mitch’s work on the problem and replaced it with his own, writing the next few steps below it in his neat, block-like handwriting.

Mitch didn’t let him get any farther than that, placing his hand over the notebook and pulling it back towards himself. “It’s no use, Scott. I’m pretty much hopeless at this stuff.”

Scott just peered at Mitch curiously. Mitch was a grade below Scott, and they were in the same choir class. They barely ever talked before, but Mitch had always seemed nice. He started coming in to the Mathematics Resource Center for math help during Scott’s lunch period a couple months prior, and Scott, being one of the student tutors, would always assist him with homework and test prep and stuff like that. According to what he’s told Scott, pre-calc isn’t Mitch’s forte. It’s evident when Mitch comes in for help every day, since he always seems to have zero clue what’s going on in the class. Scott’s patient, though, and Mitch usually finds some way to figure it out in the end. He knew Mitch at least somewhat knew what he was doing, because he would often finish Scott’s sentences when he couldn’t remember the right name for a mathematical term. Scott didn’t think Mitch was failing or anything. He probably just had a really crappy teacher and needed someone else to explain the stuff better, which Scott always happily obliged. He was funny as hell and good-looking to boot, though Scott wouldn’t admit that last part to anyone even if you gave him a million bucks. Except to Kirstie, which he already had. A lot.

“Okay,” he replied slowly, flipping the pages in his own notebook for something else for them to work on. “Oh, here: did you get your quarter exam back?” The quarter exam was a test that was given to every math class to assess the students’ progress with the material so far in the semester.

Mitch suddenly tensed up a little, reaching for his math folder and opening it. “Um...no.”

Scott side-eyed him suspiciously. “Really? Another girl in pre-calc came in yesterday talking about how she got a 63%.”

“Oh yeah, that was Jackie Rudetsky. She’s in my class. She makes such a big deal about being a math genius and a teacher’s pet and she only got a 63%! Serves her right,” Mitch scoffed, eyebrow arched.

Scott smiled a little. “How’d you know what Jackie got if y’all didn’t get it back yet?”

Mitch opened his mouth (probably to talk shit about Jackie again), but stopped short when he realized he’d given himself away. “Oh, shit. Yeah.”

“So what did you get?”

“Um…” Mitch muttered something under his breath as he flipped through his folder before pulling out the graded exam paper. “It’s not that important.”

“Come on, Mitch. We can go through the stuff you missed if you want?”

Reluctantly, Mitch took a deep breath and handed the paper to Scott.

“97%? Mitch, that’s amazing! Do you know how many kids got a 97 on this test?” Mitch just shrugged, staring at the table. “Well, not a lot, is what I’m saying. But seriously, that’s awesome! Did it bring up your grade in the class?”

“A little.”

“What do you have now?” Mitch didn’t answer. “I won’t judge. It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me, though.”

“I have a 94.”

What the hell? Bad at math, my ass. “A 94? How much was your quarter exam worth?”

Mitch kept his gaze down, picking at his cuticles. “10% of my grade.”

“But I thought you said you got D’s and F’s on all your chapter tests so far.”

“Okay, fine!” Mitch suddenly exclaimed, ripping the paper out of Scott’s hands in frustration. “Look, Scott, I don’t need any help. I never did. I just wanted an excuse to talk to you. I...I always want to go up to you in choir and say hi, but you’re always talking to Alex and Todrick and I feel weird.” His face was redder than Scott’s Coca-Cola t-shirt. “Sorry. I just made everything a million times more awkward. Par for the course, I guess,” he muttered to himself as he began to pack up his things. “I’ll just go back to lunch. Thanks for the help anyway, Scott.”

Scott could barely believe what he just heard. “Wait a minute,” he said, and Mitch stopped to look at him. “if you can’t talk to me during choir and you don’t need math help anymore, when am I gonna see you again so I can ask if you want to see a movie sometime or something?”

Mitch smirked slyly. “Well...I guess I could fail a couple more tests.”