Chapter 8

02:14

Dakota trudged behind the rest of the group. Dawn was leading, guiding them to where she needed to go. Dakota didn't even know why she was following her, she seemed to have lost the plot. B was just behind her, and Scott behind them. The farmer slowed down to walk next to her.

'Why are we following her?' He asked.

Dakota shrugged. 'I don't know. I think she's a bit...'

'Insane?' He filled in.

She nodded and her mouth twitched slightly into a smile. Fist time she'd done that awhile.

'You don't seem too scared.' Scott told her.

'I'm not.' Dakota replied. Not on the surface. If there was one thing Dakota Milton knew how to do, it was the ability to keep her posture.

Dakota glanced over at him when his eyebrows went wide, and he felt his pocket. He pulled out a locket.

'What's that?' She whispered, quietly so the other two couldn't hear her.

He furrowed his eyebrows. 'I don't know.'

Dakota gently took it from him, and she pushed the side. She opened it and she looked at the girl inside. She didn't recognise her. The girl was blonde with green eyes and Dakota noticed she was quite pretty. She quickly pocketed it.

'Hey.' Scott hissed.

She put a finger to her lips.

'How much further?' Scott asked.

'Not long.' Dawn told him.

The four carried on walking through the foliage where Dawn leaped back.

'What is it?' Dakota asked.

B placed a hand to his mouth.

Lying on the ground was chopped up bits of a girl.

'Anne Maria.' Dawn whispered.

Anne Maria was lying on the ground, her body mangled and broken. Her cold limp body had been brutally torn apart.

Dawn faced the ground. 'We, we need to go...' She muttered. 'We have to carry on.' She trudged forward and everyone else moved forward, following her in silence.

***

Mike and Zoey slowly moved on, no idea where they were or where they were going. Mike helped Zoey forward, supporting her over a tree trunk. They carried on through some thick foliage.

'What's that?' Zoey asked.

Mike peered up and he stared at the lake in front of them.

They walked onward, past it.

'It's almost beautiful.' Zoey whispered, gazing at her reflection on the way. She frowned at the bruises on her face, and she looked at Mike. He was handsome and just the type of person she'd normally go for. If it wasn't for... everything else going on...

When they got to the end of the lake she quickly turned away from a corpse. It was old and had a curvy body.

'How many have we seen?' Zoey asked.

Mike frowned and kissed the top of her head. 'Too many.'