VII

M

M

The next day.

Today I would be getting my sling taken off. I was both nervous and excited to finally have it removed—my nerves lying mostly in the fact that I would have to see the deep scar left behind on my shoulder as my bandages would also be removed with it.

My scar was healing nicely according to my Doctors and they offered the notion of laser treatments that would reduce scarring once I regained more strength in my shoulder. Overtime, it would heal better but I would still have some scars leftover.

I had yet to take another glimpse at the deep scar carved into my shoulder as I'd done my best to avoid looking at it after that day I asked for Olympia's help. I didn't want to acknowledge its horrifying existence, knowing that the mere sight of it would send me into a bout of deep nausea. I hated how self conscious it made me feel. I hated what it reminded me of and the pain, betrayal and trauma that came hand in hand with it.

I hated it all—I hated her, I hated..him.

I was only fortunate that I was able to hide the scar under the cover of my many sweaters and long sleeves. Compared to Olympia, who fared worse with her scar on her face—I envied how she was able to see past it.

"You'll—you'll learn to see past it. It's hard—it's frustrating and it hurts but in the end, I know you'll overcome this."

Her words echoed in my mind like a reminder that I shouldn't beat myself up. Things like this took time and it was unrealistic for me to recover so quickly. I had to take my time and relearn to find myself and accept the new me. I planned to do so on the trip.

I knew if I went on the girls trip I couldn't wear sweaters and long sleeves. I had to accept my scars and move forward if I wanted progress. With the support of the girls, I believed I could do it.

"You ready?" I lifted my head up to meet Damien's softened stare as he closed the distance between us. I stood by the door where I waited for him as he would be following me today.

I was happy that I wasn't going alone and I was grateful that he made the time to come along with me considering how occupied he was with work.

With him accompanying me to my appointment, it gave me the opportunity to finally speak with him about the girls trip.

"Yeah, I am." I nodded, softly smiling in response. Guiding me outside with his hand hovering slightly over the small of my back, he led me to the car where Ragi and the rest of my security detail waited for us.

Thanking Ragi, I entered the passenger seat after he opened the door for me. Later closing it, he stepped back to talk with Damien. The two talked for a bit with the other security guards who would be accompanying us. Having given Ragi and the others their orders, Damien rounded the car to enter the driver seat before he started the car and reversed out of the driveway.