XIV

M

M

Olympia's memorable birthday passed by without a hitch. We spent the day pampering her and making sure that she felt loved and appreciated. Words couldn't describe how happy she was to have spent her birthday with both Cori and myself. She didn't want to do anything too extravagant so we stayed in the villa for most of the celebrations before we got dressed up and went out for dinner to finish off the night.

In the end, she was just happy to be in our presence and not spend her birthday alone this year.

Two days went by and despite my smile never waning around the girls, I felt like time was ticking at a snail's pace on the island. Today the girls and I spent the afternoon towards the late evening at the local market. We were supposed to head out for dinner together but I didn't feel all too well.

"Mina, are you sure you don't want us to come back to the villa with you?" Olympia asked, her tone laced with worry as she and Cori walked me back to the car.

"I'll be fine you guys. I just need to lie down for a bit." I gave them both a reassuring smile, "You go ahead and have dinner without me. Okay?"

"You sure, girl? We don't mind just ordering some takeout—" Cori chimed in.

"I'm sure." I repeated, briefly embracing them both. "I'll be okay. I'll see you guys when you come back to the villa." We said our goodbyes before I slipped into the backseat of the SUV that Ragi had opened for me.

My mind wandered with an array of thoughts during the short ride back to the Villa; one of those thoughts centring around Damien.

I had yet to call him, finding myself occupied with Olympia's birthday and everything that occurred afterwards. We still had so many excursions left to do and that took up most of my time on the island. My free time was spent resting; oftentimes I was too tired to do anything else.

But now that I was at the villa with no distractions around, I settled on the balcony of my room overlooking the darkening evening sky with the burner phone in hand. I fiddled with my engagement ring on the chain of my necklace, my lips puffing out as I released a nervous breath.

The dial tone rang in my ear, each deafening ring was in time with my racing heart beat. My stomach fluttered in anticipation. I hadn't realised I was holding my breath until I heard the dial tone end and Damien's gruff baritone voice echoed with a long awaited answer.

"Hello?" My mind went blank as I sharply inhaled at the sound of his harsh raspy tone. He sounded irritated and with the prolonged pause that followed, I could sense his annoyance building.

I was taken aback, hesitating for a moment too long before I softly uttered, "Damien?" I figured he didn't know it was me which is why he spoke so brashly.

There was a brief pause before Damien, who must've been in a state of shock when he heard me, spoke up in a much softer voice, "Mina?"

I smiled at the recognition in his voice, "It's me." I let out a light airy laugh. "Hi baby.."