XVIII

M

M

The next day.

Last night was a blur filled with memorable moments.

The engagement party went on until the early hours of the morning with only close family and friends staying behind. It was during those late hours that I'd found myself more at ease and comfortable around Damien's extended family without the prying eyes of the Amalfitano's.

There wasn't a dull moment with Damien's cousins who all welcomed me with open arms. I smiled to myself as I recalled one of the highlights of my night.

We returned back to the yard for the final celebrations. The live band played their lively traditional Sicilian music, causing a majority of Damien's family to move to the makeshift dance floor that was illuminated by lamps and overhead lights. I couldn't protest when I had been pulled to the dance floor and whisked away from Damien's arms by a grinning Editta.

I held onto her and Julianna's outstretched hands, the three of us dancing alongside one another in the crowd. I heard the rhythmic whoops and cheers of Damien's relatives fill the air paired with the joyful sounds of laughter as we all danced together.

My eyes happily drank in the scenery around me, seeing that everyone had their own partner for the night. Nearly everybody was on the dance floor, crowding closer to where the live band still played like they hadn't been performing all night.

I took in the sight of a smiling Vito who was slowly dancing with his daughter Una. I could see Olympia and Cori dancing with Loretta, the three moving to join us. Angelo and his ex wife Eleanor danced closely to one another, Eleanor's head resting to his chest as she smiled while listening to his heartbeat. Salazar had even taken Yvonne to the dance floor, the two moving at their own pace as he rested his forehead to hers, later lowering his head to murmur something into her ear that made her laugh.

Those that weren't dancing, either sat and cheered us on or drunkenly sang along with the band. I caught sight of Roberto, Sergio, Ricardo and Louis, who were the culprits of the boisterous hollers that mixed with the voice of the live singer.

I weaved in and out of Editta's and Julianna's arms, taking Eunice and one of the twins' hands with a giddy smile on my face when they joined our group. I wasn't expecting Damien's family to be this playful considering their line of work but they truly knew how to have a good time.

My grin never waned when my next willing dance partner spun me around. I was met with Dante who had a wolfish grin playing on his lips and a playful glint in his dark eyes.

Damien watched from the sidelines with a look of appreciation and pride on his face at the sight of me being surrounded by his relatives. He stood beside Leo and Ragi, nursing his drink to his lips, the corners of his mouth curving upwards. Matthias and Hyeon also kept him company along with Tristano who discreetly smoked his cigarette.