Acht

The following morning finds both Cooper and Rapunzel fast asleep, curled around the dead fireplace. Rapunzel, to keep herself warm, is wrapped in some of her hair, the rest laying around her. Jörmungandr has even wrapped himself in some of her hair and sleeps by her head. Cooper props his head up on a rock he's using as a makeshift pillow. His knees are pulled close to his chest to provide him some added warmth. Unbeknownst to the both of them, Cooper snores softly in his sleep. 

As a butterfly flies by Cooper's face, saliva--or perhaps water--drops onto his cheek, waking him from his peaceful sleep. "Hmm, what?" He shakes his head and opens his eyes to find Sleipnir's flared nostrils and gritted teeth as water drips down his nose. "Well I hope you're here to apologize." Cooper's screaming startles Rapunzel (and Jörmungandr) awake. Eyes wide, Rapunzel glances around to find the cause of his screaming. Cooper continues to scream as Sleipnir drags him away by his foot. "AHHHH! No, no, put me down. Stop it! No!" Rapunzel chases after him, her hair trailing behind her. "Let me go!" She eventually catches up to him and grabs his arms, tugging him back with her. This results in a tug-of-war battle between Sleipnir and Rapunzel; only instead of rope, they use Cooper. 

"Give me him," she orders.

"Stop, stop, stop!" Cooper whines. 

Sleipnir struggles to keep his grasp on Cooper's boot but with one more tug from Rapunzel, the boot slides clean off. Cooper gets sent flying forward, tackling Rapunzel to the ground. They both fall. It takes Sleipnir a second to break from his daze before he gets up and charges after Cooper. 

Rapunzel jumps in front of him. "Whoa! Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy boy, easy, calm down. Easy boy. Easy." Cooper tries to climb up the tree he's resting on to get further away from Sleipnir. "That's it," she coos as Sleipnir starts to settle down. He glances to Jörmungandr sitting on Rapunzel's head. His head cocks to the side. There's something familiar about that chameleon he just can't quite place yet. Jörmungandr motions for Sleipnir to sit, a stern look in his eyes; a similar look an older brother would give to their younger brother. Sleipnir looks back into Rapunzel's eyes, disregarding the chameleon. There's also a sense of familiarity with her. It's probably the eyes. They look like his mother's eyes. Sleipnir starts to frown. Now that he thinks of it, that's also his mother's nose. And she looks like a young Queen Sigyn. Sleipnir, eyes wide, glances up at Jörmungandr who nods. Before Sleipnir can do anything about this, Rapunzel continues speaking, "Now sit." He lowers his bottom half but doesn't completely sit. "Sit." He sits down with a sigh. 

"What?" Cooper questions. 

"Good, now drop the boot. Drop it." He drops the boot begrudgingly. It lands on the ground with a soft thud. Rapunzel coos and starts smiling. "Oh, you are such a good boy." She starts rubbing his nose which causes his tail to wag. "Yes you are. You all tired, chasing the bad man all over the place?" Sleipnir nods and looks away with a small pout. 

"Excuse me."

"Nobody appreciates you, do they?" She pulls him in for a hug. "Do they?" He neighs and shakes his head. 

"Oh, come on. He's a bad horse!"

"Aw, he's nothing but a big sweetheart." He presses his face against her cheek and rubs their faces together. She giggles. "Isn't that right?" She glances down at his name on the reigns. "Sleipnir?" He neighs.

"You've got to be kidding me."

Rapunzel continues to pet Sleipnir who seems to be having a blast. "Look. Today is kinda the biggest day of my life. And the thing is," she pulls Cooper up and closer to Sleipnir, "I need you not to get him arrested." Sleipnir huffs. "Just for twenty four hours and then you can chase each other to your hearts content. Okay?" Cooper sighs but, begrudgingly, offers Sleipnir his hand. Sleipnir glances to it before huffing and looking away. "And it's also my birthday. Just so you know."