Chapter Two - I feel faint

Neveah's POV

The next morning at school

I stare at the white board, daydreaming about nothing in particular.  Blinking quickly as I snap out of my own thoughts. Instead doodling stick figures on my notebook, creating little scenes. Getting lost in my own little world, jumping out of my seat as the bell suddenly rang. Collecting my books and bolting out of the room, thankful that it was second period. The quick movement caught me off guard, feeling lightheaded and before I had the chance to steady myself, I began to collapse to the ground, hearing someone call out my name as I fainted.

"What are you looking at?" My dad bellowed at me at the dinner table. So I quickly looked down at my plate. If I don't acknowledge him he will go away, I thought to myself. Instead, I found myself flying backwards in my chair. Feeling blood drip down the side of my head. I look around me and see a shattered plate with I assumed to be my blood on it. I feel my father staring at me. Knowing it was a bad decision I decided looked back at him. His eyes were blazing in rage, with a look that could kill – and would – in an instant. I bit my lip trying to fight against the tears, knowing tears will only make it worse. "You are worthless scum, and do not deserve to even look at me, do you understand?" My father demanded. I nodded quickly and cried out when another plate was thrown against my face. "Answer me!" I felt a tear slide down my cheek as I hoarsely whispered "yes father." 

He walked away, leaving me there at the table. Bleeding. Crying. And so desperately alone. 

"Neveah? Neveah? Are you okay?" I hear Travis shout to me as I come to. Realizing I was in the infirmary, and not at home with him. It had just been a flash back.

"Just delightful, and you?" I said rubbing my forehead, still feeling the lingering sensation of the plate. Sitting up with the assistance of Travis, who was currently looking at me with concern, and also frowning.

"Jesus woman, you gave everyone a heart attack!" He said, staring at me as I force a laugh.

"Sorry, I must have gotten up too fast or something..." I mutter, wrapping my arms around myself for security. Desperately trying to forget about my flashback. Travis didn't look convinced, but it was more than that. He looked like something was bothering him. "Trav, what's wrong?" Frowning, tilting my head.

"Um nothing really, just.. when you fainted, you were out for a really long time..." There was something more, I can tell. 

"What else Travis?" My eyes narrow in suspicion.

"Well... I might have misheard you or something but..."

"Yes?" Growing impatient.

"You kept whimpering yes father..." The blood drained from my face. 

"I uh can.. Not explain..." I end lamely, hoping he wouldn't press the topic. He bit his lip and nodded.

"Once after I fainted,  and they were shaking me to wake up I said "I don't wanna go to school mum" yeah everyone kind of laughed at me..." Travis blushed as I chuckled.  I appreciate his gesture, thankful he didn't press me. Instead he helped me get out of the bed, tagging along behind me as we headed to our next class – English.

Travis's POV

Great. English, my most favourite subject in the world. Not.  I allowed myself to zoned out as Ms Ford discussed some random poetry. Turning to look at Neveah to notice that she was completely enthralled by what Ms Ford was saying. Suddenly she opened her notebook, realizing it might be a good time to pay attention. "Alright guys, I expect all of you to write at least 1 poem in the next -" pausing to look at her watch "10 minutes or so, so get to it!" I roll my eyes, but open my notebook anyway. Trying to think about what to write about. Scribbling some nonsense on the page before proceeding to lean back in satisfaction of my hard word.