Chapter Four

I couldn't speak. I didn't know how to explain my emotions.

"Avalon," Harmonia called putting as she placed her hands on my shoulders, "Tell me what's wrong."

I still couldn't explain my emotions, but I knew I had to try.

"I don't know, Harmonia," I told her, "I feel something whenever I'm around Ryder. It's like my heart wants me to be closer to him, but I don't know why. I don't know him!"

Harmonia studied my expression for a moment before stepping back and grabbing her sweater.

"Come on," she told me.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"We're going to see Eros," Harmonia replied.

Eros? What insight could he possibly give me? But I wasn't about to argue with Harmonia. We left her room and went to Eros' room.

We entered and found Eros' wife, Psyche, sitting on a love seat by the window. Eros stood nearby, pouring a couple glasses of wine.

"Oh wonderful," he said sarcastically, "Here come the party crashers."

"Nice to see you too, Eros," Harmonia said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes.

"You two better have a good reason for ruining my night," he told us.

"Maybe I should go," Psyche stated, sensing Eros and Harmonia's annoyance.

"No, stay," I told her, "Maybe you can both help me."

Eros raised an eyebrow at that.

"What's wrong, Avalon?" he asked.

"I don't know," I told him, "Every time I'm around Ryder...I just...my heart starts pounding and I feel like I need to be closer to him. But I can't figure out why. I don't know him! But there's this weird pull on my heart. What's happening to me, Eros?!"

"Are you in love with him?" Eros asked.

"No," I replied, "I don't know him."

"Okay then I guess a better question is, do you want to get to know him?" Eros asked.

"I don't know...maybe," I replied. Ryder was a puzzle that I wanted to solve. There was something about that was drawing me in. He had this darkness around him and I wanted to know why it was there.

"Avalon, are you attracted to him?" Eros asked.

"He is pretty handsome," I replied as my cheeks turned pink.

"Yes or no?" Eros asked.

"Yes," I replied, "But I don't know anything about him."

"Easily fixable," Eros assured me, "But you don't have to know someone to be attracted to them."

I could practically see the gears turning in Eros' head. He was coming up with a plan.

"Okay here's what you're going to do," Eros told us, "The party is in a little less than two months. Get closer to Ryder, learn more about him. Maybe this attraction will become something else or maybe it will just disappear, but you won't know unless you try."