Chapter 1

Chapter 1

***

May 2018

"I can't believe they're already a year old," Joe said as he and Val looked on at their sleeping babies.

"I know. They're growing up so fast."

"You know what that means?" Joe asked, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

Val looked up at him and shook her head.

"It means we can get started on the next one," he answered, lightly nibbling on her earlobe.

"Well, I'm sure you don't mind practicing. But," she said, slinking from under his grip.

"But?" Joe interrupted, turning to face her. "But what?"

"I gotta get dinner started before these little munchkins wake up."

"Forget starting dinner," he said, pulling her into his arms. "I just want dessert."

Val draped her arms around his neck and pecked his lips. She followed with another peck which Joe quickly turned into a sensual tongue battle.

"Mmm," he softly groaned into her mouth, letting his hands drift down to her backside. "You sure I can't have my birthday gift early?"

"That's right. Your birthday is tomorrow, hunh?"

"Yes, ma'am, it is."

"Well," she said, stepping away from him, "as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait."

Val left the bedroom with Joe closely following behind her.

"You're seriously putting me on ice, Doll?"

"Just until tomorrow, babe. I promise you won't regret it. Just trust me, OK?"

Joe let out a boisterous sigh.

"I guess so."

"And by the way, you and Dad did an awesome job on the kids' swing set. It looks great. I know your time here could be spent doing other things-"

"Including you," Joe interrupted again, giving her backside a soft smack.

"Joe, come on, baby. I'm being serious. I appreciate everything you do for us."

"Anything for my babies," Joe said, sitting at the bar. "All four of y'all."

He rested his arms on the bar's top, intently observing her as she retrieved items from the refrigerator and cabinets. He couldn't quite pin what it was, but something about her had changed over the last few weeks. He could clearly recall an incident from a couple of weeks ago that had made him a little suspicious of her activities during his absences from home. Since that day, she'd been somewhat standoffish whenever he wanted to be intimate with her. As he watched her, his mind drifted back to that day in Chicago.

***

Two weeks earlier...

Joe had been sitting on the bed waiting for nearly a half-hour after his shower with Val for her to exit the bathroom.

"What's taking this girl so long?" he quietly asked himself.

He'd heard her phone's notification alert sound several times. Seeing as though she had yet to leave the bathroom, she obviously didn't want him to know what she was doing or to whom she was speaking with via text.

He shook his head and walked to the bathroom door, twisting the knob.

Why the hell does she have the door locked?