Chapter 10

Chapter 10

***

Tampa

Had it not been for Joe reaching out to grab her hand midway through the drive to Tampa, the journey could have easily been the most awkward ride Val had ever had to endure. She greatly appreciated his attempts to ease the tension between them, at least for tonight, and relaxed a bit once they'd reached their destination.

As expected, Josh and Jon welcomed the couple with open arms. Trin and Kecia soon followed with hugs and genuine smiles, glad to see their cousins after their long absences from the family circle.

It wasn't long before the two women had dragged Val off to the poolside patio table.

"You want a drink, baby?" Joe asked from the sliding door.

"Sure."

"Cran and vodka OK?"

"That's fine. Thanks."

"Gotcha."

"So," Trin started, once Joe disappeared inside,  "you two seem to be doing OK."

"We're making it. Ya know? Still tryna weed through all the emotions, but we're getting there."

"Well," Kecia chimed in, "you got a good man. Joe's a sweetheart. Now, his ass can be a lil' stubborn sometimes, but he means well."

"Don't we all?" Val said, forcing a brief smile and clearing her throat. "Um, could you guys excuse me for a second?"

"You OK, Boo?" Trin asked, covering Val's hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Yeah, I'm good. I just need a moment," she said, standing from the table.

"Take all the time you need," Kecia said.

Val nodded and walked into the house managing to slip past the men who'd gathered around the bar in the game room.

"I'm gonna take this drink out to Doll real quick," she heard Joe say just as she closed the powder room door and locked it.

"Collect yourself, bitch," she whispered to herself as she looked in the mirror.

She turned and leaned against the vanity, deeply exhaling to calm her nerves. After making a quick check of her makeup, she washed her hands and exited the bathroom, nearly running into Josh.

"Joe was just lookin' for you. He took ya drink outside for you."

"OK. Thanks, cuz."

"You good?" he asked. "Kecia sent me in here to check on you."

"Yeah, I'm OK. I just got a lotta shit goin' on right now."

"Yeah," he said, looking down the hall for listeners.

Finding the area empty, he leaned in closer to Val.

"Uce told me everything, NooNoo. That dude love you too much to leave. Just hang in there."

"I wish I could believe you, Josh."

"Well, if you don't believe it, I do. I mean, you a good woman. You just made a bad decision. Shit, we all do it. That's what make us human. Know what I'm sayin'? Everything gon' be alright. Just make sure you take care of yourself and them babies."

"I will. Thanks, Josh," she said, hugging him.

"No problem," he replied, returning her embrace. "Now, get yo' ass out there and have some fun and smile. You too pretty to be walkin' around here all sad and shit," he added, releasing her from the embrace.