Chapter 20

Chapter 20

***

Nine Months Later, October 25, 2019

"Well, here we are again, Empire. It's about three in the morning and this one's moving pretty fast," Joe said, swiping his hand down his face.

His eyes boasted large bags from lack of sleep after Val had awakened him complaining of labor pains. Her contractions were so close together that he didn't even bother to grab her overnight bag, certain that Baby Anoa'i would come at any moment. Luckily, they arrived at the hospital with enough time for her to get an epidural to help alleviate the pain and allow her to get a little rest before the arrival of their third child together.

"Guys, this baby's not playing games," he advised his Instagram followers. "I wasn't sure we were gonna make it to the hospital in time, but I think I might've gotten a little overzealous. Still, this one's comin' a lot faster than the twins did."

He scanned the comments for a moment and answered.

"No twins this time," he said with a light laugh. "Maybe next time."

He scanned again and answered.

"We don't know if it's a boy or a girl. We wanted that to be a surprise."

He scanned once more before answering.

"We'll let you guys know the name after the baby's born."

A knock sounded, drawing Joe's attention to the door. Cherie and Pat entered, Cherie carrying Val's overnight bag much to his relief.

"Alright, guys. I gotta go. I'll try to get back with another update as soon as possible. Keep us in your prayers," he said, giving a salute before ending the live broadcast.

"Did we interrupt?" Pat asked, hugging him.

"Not at all. I appreciate this," he said, taking the bag from his mother-in-law and setting it in his recliner. "Those contractions started coming so fast, I just knew I was gonna have to deliver this baby."

"How long has she been out?" Cherie asked, smoothing Val's hair down and kissing her forehead.

Val slightly flinched but remained asleep.

"About an hour or so. JoJo and the twins doing OK?"

"Yeah," Pat answered, setting her purse on a bench near the window. "They're all at your house with the men waiting for a phone call."

He scratched his goatee and looked at the analog clock on the wall.

"The way this thing's moving along, they won't be waiting too long."

A second knock sounded at the door and the doctor quietly entered the room. Seeing that Val was still sleeping, she opted to let her continue resting.

After a few more minutes of conversation with his mother and Cherie, Joe initiated another IG live session.

"Alright, Empire. I'm back and no doubt, we're gonna have a baby real soon."

He browsed through the questions that came scrolling fast across the screen of his cell phone.

"Um, we picked out names as soon as we found out about the pregnancy."

"Will you and Val have any more children?" he read aloud. "Um, I'm good either way. It's really up to the Misses."

He read another question and answered.

"Twins are doing good. Gettin' big and drivin' JoJo crazy, but JoJo's very excited about the new baby."