Kakashi x reader

━ ∘◦ ☆ ◦∘ ━

Kakashi was not a man who was quick to anger. Rather, he'd let things be; he'd get slightly irked; he'd try to wait it out.

But when he did get angry, he'd simmer in it. He would sit in his anger and he would let it consume him, should he not catch himself before he said something hurtful or did something he'd regret.

Unfortunately, he did not catch himself this time around.

What had started as his s/o making a mild comment on the lack of time they've been spending together had devolved into blame and harsh words and, eventually, tears.

And he regretted it.

Kakashi always regretted fighting with his s/o. He knew that when his s/o was right and he felt guilty for it, he could lash out. He knew that he spoke faster than he thought, and he knew that he was meaner than he meant to be.

"I am the god damn hokage. I have an entire village to take care of. What are you compared to that?"

Kakashi finally caught himself in the middle of watching them break down in tears. He blinked, absorbed the fact that he was the cause of those tears, and turned on his heel and strode out of their apartment. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

He knew in his head that they loved him all the same. He knew in his head that a fight, even with tears, wouldn't change that. Still, he needed to make sure of it; he needed to make it up to them. Just because they loved him didn't mean he could say awful things and get away with it.

———————

Less than an hour later, Kakashi was knocking on his own door. He had flowers in one hand – Ino Yamanaka had seen his expression the moment he walked into her store and made him an apology bouquet before he could attempt an awkward explanation – and had the other hand behind his back. There was a long, uncomfortable pause as he waited. He was quite sure his s/o was just taking their time getting there, and they knew he forgot his keys.

Finally, the door opened. They looked at him warily. "What can I do for you, Hokage-sama?"

Kakashi flinched at their tone, but knew he deserved it all the same. He held out the bouquet to them, but they didn't take it until he murmured, "Please?"

They stepped to the side, looking down at the flowers. Kakashi knew they recognized what each meant – when wasn't his s/o looking into some miscellaneous thing or another? – and was not incredibly impressed. They also probably knew Ino made the bouquet herself.

So, he tried for the thing he did do himself.

Kakashi moved his arm from behind his back, gently pushing the paper he had been holding into his s/o's hands.

They looked at it impassively and asked, "Why are you showing me a blank schedule?"

"It's mine. For this week," Kakashi said.

"Why are you showing me a busy schedule you forgot to fill out?"

"I didn't forget, y/n; I got rid of everything."

There was a long stretch of silence that he chose to ride out.

"Why?" They finally asked in a small voice. They looked down and didn't meet his eyes. "You have an entire village to take care of."

And Kakashi felt absolutely horrible. He wrapped his arms around his s/o and pulled them against his chest. They didn't resist, which he took as a positive sign.

"I can't take care of a village if I'm neglecting the most important part," he said. He felt them tense, so he hurried on. He kept them in his embrace. Eye contact would be too much for him at the moment.

"You are the most important part. You are what I need to take care of first," Kakashi said into their hair. He spoke quietly, but deliberately enough to make sure they heard him. "I'm sorry for saying otherwise. I'm sorry for making you feel otherwise.

"This week, I'll fix it."

They finally looked at him. "Really?"

"Really. I promise."

━ ∘◦ ☆ ◦∘ ━

tumblr
thottyimagines